Kya: Friend or Foe?

Sarah Lewinski

I have the final backpack slung over my shoulder and ready to go. I'm halfway to the pool building when I see Leo lounging around and drinking lemonade. "Sup, Sarah?" he calls. Patting the space next to him, he coos, "Take a break and chill out. How's it going?"

"Well," I start, happily taking the load off my back. "I've got everything set up. I only just now noticed the clouds and I managed to fit a giant foldable tent in this one, which is probably why it weighs so much. How are things going for you?"

"I don't know...Ren and Kya talked for about a minute and that's all it took for the two of them to have storm clouds over their heads. Elektra wanted me to follow Kya to make sure she doesn't rat us out, but..." Leo shrugs and takes a sip of his drink. "I don't like Zeus very much."

As if on cue, thunder cracks the silence of the world. "I don't think Zeus likes you either," I tease. A blinking light catches my eye and I look towards the pool building. "You don't think Kya would rat us out, do you?"

"Kya? You're joking, right? That would never happen," Leo assures. "But that's the signal: Ren's flashing us with his anger flames. You ready?"

Looking up, I get a drop of rain in my eye. The storm is finally here, and so are our chances of freedom. It's getting harder to see outside, and we're all dressed in darker colors. We have an actual chance at doing this. But what about after? Would I keep painting? Where would I live?

Only one way to find out, I guess.

"Okay," I tell Leo. "You guys get your packs and meet me here. Tell Elektra to warn Cerberus that we're about to attack. I'll wait here."

Though he nods, Leo pauses. Hesitantly, he looks to me. There's something on his mind and the tip of his tongue, but he remains silent. But I don't have to ask what's wrong to know what he's thinking.

"I'm scared, too," I promise, grabbing his hand for a flitting moment.

Sighing, he shakes his head. "We're scared of two different things, Sarah. I'll go get the others. Once Elektra is up there with Cerberus and the doors start to open, I'll come back down and do the thing."

"I'll be here," I assure.

Leo darts off to the pool room. Lightning forks through the sky, illuminating the courtyard in flashes. The light bounces off shiny material that distracts my eyes. I find the captivating object and realize that they're silver strands of hair amidst dark brown: Kya.

And she's chatting up a storm with Cerberus. That's not good. Should I stop her before something starts? Or do I trust her enough that she won't give us up?