Alistair

Kya Carter

The traditional city was more vibrant and packed full of excitement than I imagined. Word about the Dragon's arrival has spread like a wild fire, and villagers are making preparations to celebrate in his honor. Call me crazy, but I have a difficult time celebrating the honor of a man who uses me to get to his home then casts me aside when he doesn't need me anymore. You might think that just because you find me at a bad time in some alley that we've formed some special bond, but you're terribly wrong, he said to me. I want nothing to do with you. I only used you and manipulated your feelings so I could escape Asylum. Why the hell else would I travel with a freak who murdered her own parents in cold blood? His words stung me more than I expected them to, for some inexplicable reason.

In my slippers and plain yukata, I roam the pavements made of stones. Royal red paper lanterns illuminate the street, hanging overhead between buildings. Smaller, fist-sized lanterns of softer colors are strung up above venders that sell aromatic teas, mouth-watering dishes, and small trinkets. Storefronts have swung their doors wide open and not a single person here walks without a smile. Not a single person besides me, that is. It's strange. Usually, I feed off my environment, but the energy here isn't doing me any favors. Is it because I'm too hurt to force a smile, or because everywhere I look I'm reminded of Ren?

Frowning, I reach inside my pocket and finger the medallion. My mouth is rather dry and I think sitting down, getting a drink, and clearing my head is overdue. I make my way into an open café, where I sit at one of the narrow tables outside and order a tea. I go to cross my arms, but refrain. The hand-shaped burn mark beneath my sleeve is irritating and causes me to flinch every time I bump into a stranger or accidentally nudge a food cart.

The waitress comes back with a tray, where two cups of steaming tea are propped. She sets them both on the table – one in front of me, and one in the empty seat across from me. "I'm sorry," I apologize, hoping she speaks English. "I only ordered one."

She looks confused until someone else approaches. "No," he corrects, voice deep but smooth. "This is definitely what I ordered. The order of the girl with the gloomy face and my green tea. Thank you." The man hands over cash to the waitress and sits across from me, sipping his tea casually and looking at the commotion on the street like we came here together; like he isn't uncomfortable.

"You didn't have to cover my order," I tell him, digging into my pockets, hoping I can find some spare bills so I can avoid using the medallion in front of someone. "Let me pay you back."

"You can pay me back," the man says, resting one of his legs on his knee. "But not in money."

I furrow my brows at the weird proposition. For a split second, I feel unsafe, but then I remember that there are gutters full of old rain water I can use, plus the dark strain that is always available to me. "What do you want, then?" If he's as big a fan of the Dragon as these people are, he'll probably want me to spill some of the secrets about who Ren really is. Perhaps people know we travelled here together. We rode in the same taxi.

I clench my hands into fists at the thought, blood boiling with unwanted anger. I bet Ren loathes the idea of the two of us being seen together. The moment he stepped in Tokyo, I'm sure he wanted nothing to do with me. When he ushered me into the taxi so rudely, or ran off into the country part of Tokyo without warning me, I thought it was because he was trying to urge both of us to safety. But after what he said, I think he was trying to create distance. I'm such an idiot. How did I not see it sooner?

The man switches his dreamy gaze from a man selling rolls of firecrackers and to me. I'm taken back by how beautiful his eyes are. His golden eye reminds me of Ren, but minus the harshness of the glow, or the constant narrowed shape of a glare. His blue eye is bright and vivid, like the shade the light blue sky first dons as dusk approaches. "You can tell me why you're so sad. I was just walking by and there was this giant gray cloud hanging in this café. I couldn't help but to see where it was coming from."