Early Start

Sarah Lewinski

It's officially five o'clock – the standard time that we consider evening. There's still no sign of Kya while everyone else is hard at work. The sun is setting, but it isn't its radiant color that gives the entire dojo a sheet of red and yellow auras. Gunshots reverberate through the halls and pavilion as Ace and his crew, along with Elektra and Leo, fire guns at hay-stuffed dummies. Elektra and Ace are both superb, each able to fire a short magazine of bullets into the same hole. Leo's not bad, which is what everyone else was expecting. He says with his telekinesis, he feels every mechanical part of everything he touches now, considering his mind is always active.

Meanwhile, Ren practices his skills with a katana, battling three other Sages with their own blades. Sparks fly as metal meets metal in near-deadly maneuvers. Ren's footwork and swinging of his sword makes violence look graceful, and it's all the Sages can do to stay on the defense. I must admit, Ren looks more complete with a katana in his hands, as if it's a part of him.

I don't practice my power because the only people I can use it on are our allies. So, I climb the red archway, hugging myself tight in my jacket as a harsh breeze blows my hair to the side. My eyes scan the horizon, searching for the sprinting silhouette of Kya, or the confrontational formation of SD advancing on us from the city's border, or the sneaking shapes of Cerberus and Reaper trying to weaken us before the big guns are brought out.

I hope that whatever comes for us, we can fight it without Kya, who doesn't seem to be returning. I had faith that whatever reason she has for being absent is a good one, but as the sunlight dwindles away and her presence is still prolonged, that faith begins to ween out.

"Anything?" a bass, tired voice calls out to me as I swing my legs in the air.

Not wanting to admit it but knowing I have to answer, my teeth tug on my lip. I peer down at Ren, who stretches his neck up to see me. "Nothing."

He nods. "Better to see nothing than everyone coming at once, I suppose. Why don't you come on down and wait with us? We're all resting until anyone shows up."

Softly, I smile. There was a time when Ren was selfish and unwilling to do anything unless it benefited him. Overtime, however, he's changed. He's still got a sharp tongue and the occasional pompous attitude, but he's learned compassion and how to use it with others. He's really turned into one of the good guys. "Sounds good," I tell Ren.

Lightly, my feet click on the ground as I drop down. Elektra reloads her gun with Ace as the two instruct the rest of the gang where she wants them; one on the observation deck, one at the archway, one looking over the wall of the koi fish pond. Leo uses the gun strap over his shoulder, his skinny fingers feeling the weapon.

Ren takes a deep breath. "So, as you all know -"

Before he can say another word, there's a thunderous crack as one of Elektra's thugs drops to the ground. "Get down!" Elektra shouts, tumbling to the floor just like her previous comrade. Still unsure of what just happened, I huddle on the ground, not doubting the demand in Elektra's voice. "Someone's sniping us," she explains as we all crowd against a wall for cover. "I'll get a location and take them out."

Firmly, Ren bows his head once. "Be safe."

Elektra closes her eyes, pointing her fingertips to the sky as her body lights up a neon blue. Overhead, lightning forks over the city borders, promising its citizens a chaotic storm. Soon after the bright flash, an invigorating roar echoes from the sky. When Elektra opens her eyes, her body returns to normal as she positions a gun against her cheek. "Three bodies in some dilapidated border buildings," she reports. "Two are close together, but the third is wayward. Ace, can you cover me?"