Phase Two: Acquire a Vault Code

Leo Hernandez

I've never felt so important in my entire life. For this mission, I'm the most crucial part of the plan. Everyone is relying on me. Me, the kid with no muscle mass, a running mouth, and an infinitesimal bladder. I'll admit, I was a bit weary of having Elektra elected as captain, but now I'm wondering why we never did it sooner. This is great!

It's still late out. The building closes at 11 at night, and we arrived at 10:45. This bank is closer to the city, and therefor has a bigger jackpot to take, making this robbery riskier – even more fun. Like Sarah said, my heart just beats so fast that I can't help but smile.

What's going to happen, is the bank attendant is going to go to the grand vault to do inventory on the money in the safe. I'll go in with someone who will talk with a clerk at the front counter. From there, I will read the mind of the attendant, stealing the code to get into the vault. Once the bank closes, Elektra will cause a power surge in the bank, shorting all the cameras and thermal detectors. Then, we all pile in, take the money, and get out. It's even easier than getting the car.

On the way to the bank, Kya was silent. I mean, she's on the reserved side, but this silence was forced. I can tell there's a million things she wanted to say, but for the sake of us, she kept her mouth shut. She knows we're having a good time, but she knows what we're doing is wrong. The difference between her and us, however, is that we recognize it's wrong but do it anyways because normal people like the ones at the convenience store, the auto rental, and the bank are the reason Asylum exists. That facility is designed to keep us away from those people so we never harm them. To the four of us, these people are getting what's coming to them. To Kya, she doesn't think they deserve being wronged.

Overall, I've noticed an air of contemplation around Kya Carter. Her pale gray eyes look out the window, but they're seeing something else. Kya is travelling deep inside her thoughts, trying to decide something. I can almost guarantee you that she's pondering over what Elektra said: if you don't like it, you can stay behind.

But would she really leave us? Where would she go? And without a car, how would she get there?

Hopefully she'll get whatever she needs to think about sorted. The only people needed for this first part of the mission is Sarah for talking, me for getting the code, and Elektra for checking out the source of the electricity and locating the security cams.

Elektra parks in the parking lot like an actual human being. The three of us pile out, and by leaving Kya and Ren here, I wonder if this car is going to be in flames by the time we get back.

"Think you two can refrain from murdering each other while we're gone?" I joke.

"No," Ren answers.

Kya remains silent. I would've thought that she didn't even hear me if it wasn't for a lousy shrug on her part.

Sighing, I follow Sarah and Elektra into the bank. I wish Kya wasn't such a good person, that way I wouldn't feel so wrong for being part of the reason she's upset. Nevertheless, I must clear my head and live up to my criminal expectations.

Entering the bank, I walk with Sarah to the front, where she inquires about a loan. Elektra takes a sharp right and sits at a waiting chair, scouting out the area. I pick out the bank attendant, who is dressed more fancily than others. Still, I can't help but note that he would look much better with suspenders on. He goes to the back and starts turning an enormous dial, thinking the numbers to himself. It's a bank lock, so the password is eight numbers long.

12-65-19-04-15-92-45-32 aaaaand open sesame.

The vault opens and the man walks inside with a clipboard. I look back at Elektra, who nods: she's ready to go. Gently, I nudge Sarah with my elbow: I'm ready to go, too.

"Thank you for your time," Sarah gratifies.

Elektra has already left the bank, and as Sarah and I leave, the OPEN sign turns to CLOSED. "Are you kidding right now?" Elektra growls at the car. I'm about to ask why, when there's a note on the car window in two different handwriting styles. The first part is more girly and spaced out: Kya's message.

Down at the 24/7 coffee shop. Needed to think.

The second part is in blockier letters: Ren.

I fell asleep and Kya left. Going after her. Will try to bring her back by 12:30, though not too hard.

"Now what?" I ask.

"We wait for the employees to leave, then continue with the plan. When we're done, Ren should be back. And if Kya isn't with him, then there's not much I can do about that," Elektra shrugs.

"A bit harsh. I mean, Kya did save us from being shot," Sarah pitches in.

"And we're doing all the work by getting money," she renders. "If she doesn't want to be with us, we shouldn't force her to. If she sticks around without wanting to, she'll only weigh us down."

I can't help but side with Sarah. Overall, Kya's done so much for us and to easily leave her behind seems wrong. It seems impossible. And to think that Ren is the one trying to bring her back doesn't sound promising. At that rate, pigs will fly and fish will talk.

I don't doubt that Ren is actually trying to convince Kya to leave.