Unexpected Backup Plan

Ren Walker

"Fire!" Cerberus roars, smiling as rain drips from his chin. A crackle of explosions echo. Preparing for my death, which I'm surprised didn't come sooner, I close my eyes. But then there's this other sound: like the crunch of stepping into a foot of hard snow. I don't feel any bullets penetrate me or whiz by my body. I don't hear any yelps of pain.

In fact, I don't open my eyes until I hear everyone gasp. Furrowing my brows, I peek one eye open, and then the next because I'm not sure about what I'm seeing. "Woah," I manage, taking in the scene. Protecting us in a dome of thick ice is Kya Carter, her arms straight out and her wrists bent at a 90-degree angle. Her back is towards us, but I'm sure she's out of breath. To do this...this insane feat; making rain into a fortress...it takes mounds of energy. Kya may not be a girl of action, but when she does carry out her words...she's not too bad.

Frozen in the ice are the bullets. The ice must be like a brick-wall sturdy to withstand high-powered snipers.

"Kya!" Leo yells, his hearing off from the lightning explosion, considering he was closest to it. "You're a badass?"

But the one thing about this is that now Cerberus knows Kya's power, so he can use it against us.

"I can't fight and keep the dome," she admits, sweat mixing with rain as she exerts her strength.

"Let me relieve you of your struggle," Cerberus permits. Using Kya's power, he melts the dome, stripping the task away from her. At the sudden drop of chi in her power, Kya sinks to her knees to gather her breath. Caught off guard, Cerberus uses that to his advantage. He forms a dagger of ice and spears it at the moon girl, the shard sharp and deadly.

Hurriedly, I step in front of Kya. Time to show them what I'm made of. Kya's power comes from the energy of other elements. Mine comes from within me. Our actions to preform or powers are very different, as well as where we draw our strength from. I make a punching motion, like I'm about to destroy the ice with my bare hands. Instead, fire unleashes from my fists and instantly melts the ice.

"Get Sarah out of here," I demand Leo, who can only watch. "Elektra, hold Cerberus back."

Bending down, I grab Kya by her upper arm. To stand up, she has to grab onto me and rely on my strength. Instantly, I feel uncomfortable and there's a million reasons why. "Get up, Kya," I order.

She's an unearthly color of ash. Sure, she's pale. But now it's like she's devoid of life.

Grunting, I say, "You know? I really hate you. You make it so easy to wish you never existed and then you pull a stunt like this?" Half-running and half-walking, I make up the distance to Leo. "Here, help Kya. Get out of Cerberus's range and I'll help Elektra."