Proper Motivation

Ren Walker

The first few minutes down the hall were made in silence. Every time I blinked, all I could see was what new torture Reaper and Cerberus are practicing on Kya. Ripping out one of her wondrously pale eyes? Digging out one of her pearly white teeth? Tearing away her polished fingernails? Severing one of her delicate fingers? That injured Sage is the source for all these thoughts, and I almost wonder, if Kya was tortured, who would it really hurt the most? Her, or me?

"You got a name?" Alistair questions, voice buzzing behind me like a fly I'd love to incinerate. I only saw him briefly before, when Kya trusted herself enough to dance around, putting her soft hands in his. I instantly disliked him, and with how frenzied I am over Kya's capture, I think I'm starting to know why.

"Ren," I grumble, not wanting to talk to him anymore. There's something else about him, too. Sometimes, when I catch him furiously glowering my way, he reminds me of Xavier. But Xavier lost an eye, had hair so black it looked blue, and, oh yeah, he's dead.

"Any idea what we'll find down here?" Alistair tentatively inquires, voice annoyingly familiar. God, he even sounds like Xavier.

"Yeah, totally, I just didn't feel like telling anyone," I bite. I can't help but think about exactly why Kya kissed this guy. I mean, objectively, I suppose he's good looking, but there's just something about him that screams, I'm suspicious and appear at convenient times. Kya was with him yesterday, and she liked him so much she snuck away and saw him again today, even despite his monstrous mess of strings.

"We don't like each other, and that's fine, but can we get along until we find Kya?" I suppose it makes more sense that Kya saw him again, almost because of his strings. One of the first things I learned about her back at Asylum was that she always looked beneath a person's surface before she judged them, if she ever judged at all. The next thing I learned: she never turned her back on a friend, or stranger, in need. Irrationally, I feel a ridiculous spark of hope at the idea of her kissing Alistair out of obligation.

"Don't ask stupid questions and we'll be fine," I gruffly instruct.

Alistair sighs, but remains silent. I don't complain.

At last, we come to the end of the hallway, which leads to a chair in front of a door. Kya is either through this door or down a different hall, and while everything in me wants to advance on, I can't help but pause and consider the chair. Why is it here? And for a bunker, these are awfully tight spaces to keep Japan, a heavily condensed country, holed up in one place. There has to be more through that door.

"You!" a voice exclaims – female, shocked and not pleasantly so. Both Alistair and I whirl around. There's a girl – not much older than I am – with long black hair and dark brown eyes that look black with hatred. I don't need a formal introduction to know this is Reaper. Her eyes are on Alistair, and I feel glad I'm not the only one who hates this guy. "I calculated Elektra wouldn't come, I calculated who would go down which halls, and I calculated how I would deal with all of you," she meticulously explains, holding her position in the center of the hall. "But I didn't calculate that you would show, or I'd have had another chair for you, too."

Alistair cringes at her words and his eyes cast down at the hall. He's too ashamed to meet her eyes. What did he do? Whatever it is, I'll find out later. I have more pressing issues to deal with now. Sparing no time, I ask, "Where's Kya?" And though I knew I was seething with rage, the amount of gravel in my voice still surprises me.

The Reaper chuckles at me, then flicks her stare to Alistair. "Why don't you ask where she was? I'm sure Alistair can give you all the details."