Chased

Elektra

Sarah tried to get me to smile for my fake passport photo. She failed miserably. Next time I smile, it'll be because I'm out of the clutches of Asylum. Surprisingly, Sarah did a remarkable job creating passports. I used to run a gang up in Russia, so I know a thing or two about forgery, and this is a job well done. If Sarah had come to me asking for a spot in my crew, I'd have let her in, hands-down. However, the meticulousness of the job took a couple of hours, so Kya and Leo left to get snacks. By the time the mini-books were done and we finished eating, it was late in the afternoon.

"This is impressive," I credit Sarah, who smiles and massages her fingers to give them a break from all their typing. "I'm shocked."

"That's my girl," Leo assures, proudly beaming my way.

Ren rolls his amber eyes at all the positivity, which I find humorous. The library at this place is pretty empty, which is unsurprising given the general demographic here shows that people can actually have negative IQs. There's a few girls here, who gawk at Ren until he gives them a warning glare. That guy never seems to soften up. That's a good trait to have. Nobody should ever make you weak – weakness is a poison.

"I think we're ready to go," Sarah acknowledges, handing out our passports. "How long will the drive be to get to the airport?"

We look to Kya, who checks the current time. "It's five in the evening, so it's rush hour. Our three-hour ride just got extended to four. We'll arrive at the airport at nine. Paying for tickets might take a while, but overall, we should be able to make the ten-thirty flight."

"Alright, we're really doing this!" Leo cheers, pumping his fist in the air and jumping. Making a pinching motion with his fingers, he sighs and whispers, "We're this close."

"So we better not screw it up," I remind him. "Anyone need to use the bathroom before we hit the road?" When there's silence, I nod and take out the keys to our stolen car. "Alright, then...let's go." The five of us exit the library and enter the vehicle. Excitement buzzes through the air and everyone's nerves grow jittery. The tension is thick with anticipation, and while I too, should feel this energy, I can't shake a feeling of certain doom.

Overhead, storm clouds gather and I wonder if the inevitable lightning is throwing off my mood. I hesitate at the wheel as I start the car. The co-captain of this ragtag group senses my discomfort. He looks at me with weariness, his golden eyes a low pulse. Though there's clearly something on the tip of Ren's tongue, he doesn't say anything. Perhaps he trusts me to get the job done, and I appreciate that.

Finally, we pull out of the parking lot and drive out of this rotten ghetto. The car is silent. Nobody wants to speak in fear of jinxing ourselves into failure, but it's clear that we're mere hours away from safety. In the distance, there's rolling thunder.

Three miles south, walking, two humans hot on the trail. The moment I think about how close we are to escaping Asylum, my gut twists and sends this line of information to my brain. I have no idea exactly what it means or how I formed this, but something tells me it has to do with the sinking feeling in my stomach. To distract myself and to fill the silence, I turn on the radio.

We drive for hours in silence, and as we get within 30 minutes of the airport, fat drops of rain begin to clot on the windshield. The storm is coming. In my review mirror, I notice Kya shifting uncomfortably in the back. Maybe she doesn't jive well with rocky storms? Perhaps it gives out negative energy? Or maybe...just maybe, she's also sensing the unsaid qualm of a hidden issue?

Leo and Sarah break into a nervous, whispering chatter – both with concerned expressions. Leo throws a glance behind us, which isn't a good sign. "You two," I call, voice hoarse from disuse. "What's going on back there?" The rain intensifies a bit and I turn on the windshield wipers.