One Eye

Ren Walker

Going back home is the last thing I want to do. Once we find civilization, we'll have to get passports. Then, we'll have to find enough money to get tickets to Japan. Once we're in Japan, we'll have to actually get to where I used to live. It's going to be a while before we get all of this settled, and I can guarantee you that I can find a way to break off this group of misfits. In fact, I might even be able to do so tonight.

We walk on for an hour before the rain stops. While it's nice that it finally lets up, the world still sucks because the sun is gone. My powers are stronger during the day, and walking out in the dangerous open at night makes me feel vulnerable – and I hate feeling vulnerable.

If I feel vulnerable just walking around at night, then I wonder how I'm going to handle going home – if I don't escape, that is.

"Ren," Elektra calls. "Take the lead – we need a light to follow."

Grunting, I pass her. Then I pass Leo, who's talking to Sarah. "I don't know how much further I can manage," Sarah admits, rubbing the back of her head. "Every step I take it's like there's an explosion in my head."

"An explosion?" Leo doubtfully inquires.

Sarah touches his temple and walks. "Ow!" he yelps, grabbing his head. "Okay, how about a warning?"

"Sorry," she sheepishly apologizes, offering him a small smile.

I see an opening for my escape, after all. And it can be done within the next few hours. Grinning, I call to the group, but mainly Elektra, who's taking charge. I open my mouth to speak when Leo gasps behind me. Furrowing my brows, I turn to see Kya fainting to the ground, her lips a vivid blue and her face paler than ash. "What's happening to her?" Leo inquires, leaning down and checking her pulse.

"Kya had to put all of her pent-up energy into that dome. Cerberus stripped it all away when he melted the ice," Sarah explains, surprisingly informational. "She doesn't have enough energy to bend water, certainly. But it's like she doesn't even have enough energy in her body. It's like she used her mortal self to construct the dome as well, connecting her human body with her otherworldly abilities. That can explain why she was so strong, but now it's killing her."

"She's still breathing," Leo alerts, cradling Kya's head, which has mud-caked hair from falling. Some of the brown matter landed on her face, and it's an extreme contrast to her ashen skin. "But barely."

"What do we do?" Elektra asks.

Sarah shakes her head. "I have no idea. She needs energy restoration but I have no idea how to do that."

"We should rest," I suggest, which is what I was going to say before Kya stole the show. "We need to be at our best so we can make sure we can defend ourselves and carry Kya."

Elektra turns the idea over in her head. I really hope she agrees with me, because I need everyone to be asleep for my plan to work. Once everyone falls asleep, I'll run away. It's as simple as that.

"Fine," Elektra agrees. "Let's find someplace dry and rest. Ren, carry Kya."

"Why me?" I protest, narrowing my eyes. "Is it a punishment for wanting to not stay as a group?"

Leo bends down and Sarah gets on his back, resting her head on his shoulder and closing her eyes. "Sarah's head has explosions, from when you hit her every time she walks, so I'm carrying her."

"Also," Sarah pipes up. "Being a sun descendant, your body temperature is naturally super high. Kya is freezing up because of what Cerberus did. Had he done the same thing to you, you'd be burning up with deadly fevers."