Newcomer

Kya Carter

I made a mistake. I wish I could say it was an honest one, but the line separating pure honesty and tainted reason is blurry. It happened when I was 17, and all I think about is the moment – the incident – that changed my life. And believe me, I have a lot of time to think.

I'm in a place Ren and I decided to call "Haven." Not even a Haven...just Haven. I don't specifically remember how I got here. Did I come here by chance? Was I driven here out of loyalty for my friends? It was a blur of welcomed chaos and deep friendship that not only changed my life, but the lives of everyone else who came here and who will come here.

Here at Haven, everyone is different. Some excuse - thievery or murder - is the excuse the Asylum owners use to pick up and "rehabilitate" people. In reality, it's is a prison to keep them hidden from the world. But Haven is a place where these anomalies can come together in peace without worrying about being captured.

Once we were born, we were gifted with markings that defined us. They're like tattoos, except they don't stretch or fade or wear out. Instead, they grow with you. Some of them even change color, move, or spread depending on what ability you have.

You might be confused on what the term "ability" means in this case. Some people call them powers, others call them witchcrafts. I call it the thing that brought me closure and comfort after years of isolation.

What journey did I endure to get here?

Break out of Asylum. I think it was an accident. I certainly didn't mean to create a solid ice igloo to prevent my friends from getting sniped by Asylum guards. But it happened and it was my choice. It's thanks to my ability that I could pull such a stunt and embark on this life-changing adventure with people who I would eventually love like a family.

"Kya, they've agreed to your terms," my personal Sage tells me, joining me with my meal in the lunchroom. "As long as Clyde gets a new pair of leather boots and Claire receives spicy meals and iced coffee every day." At Haven, we protect people who want to destroy us because of our powers; even offering refuge for enemies, like the ones from the battle against Supernatural Detaining. Clyde and Claire, for instance, tried to kill Leo and I on the steps of Ren's dojo, and when their backs were against the wall, we spared them. Why? Because we believe everyone deserves a chance and a stroke of compassion. This was always my personal philosophy, and though it wasn't (and probably still isn't) Ren's, he happily adopted the MO for Haven's purpose.

"We can do that," I assure, tucking my hair behind my ear. I've cut it short to keep my sweating at a minimum when practicing my power, and to proudly show my markings on the back of my neck. There are blood drops that form every time I use the darker side of my power. These markings aren't the main ones I bore, but they're the ones that helped set me on the right track to help others.

Repairing Ren's dojo has been the main problem we've been tackling, but tearing down the ruined parts has allowed for expansion and renovation. We've finally put up a fence along that damned cliff, as well as set up an extended dormitory area for future Haven residents. We've kept the thematic colors red and gold, because even though we're referenced by the Sages as Masters Carter and Walker, it was Ren's home before mine.

I climb up to the new observation deck tonight, clinging to the cold ladder rungs before making it to the deck. Behind me is Ren. Since the great battle where Reaper was put to an end, we've made a habit of surveying the area before we go to bed, checking for enemies.

"All clear," Ren reports. Ren Walker isn't the world's #1 most likeable human being on earth, but he's the person I trust the most. And did I mention he can shoot fireballs? Oh, also: I used to hate him. So, whenever he decides to tease me too much, I just playfully bring up an insult that I threw at him in the past. Lighthearted teasing plus Ren's easy-to-blush face equals stomach-cramping laughter. "Besides, you know...the giant holes in the ground from Elektra's lightning."