Shades of Emotion

Sarah Lewinski

My face is not nearly wide enough to contain my smile. The second we step off the plane and into the streets, I'm whisked away by the fantasy world of Japan. The demographic is so much different here than it is back at America's Asylum. The Japanese have more defined facial structures than we do back at home; sharper cheekbones, edgier jawlines, angled eyes, prominent collarbones. On top of that, their hairstyles are far different than anything I've encountered. How I'd love to just set up my art easel right in the center of the city and begin to sketch. I'd have to completely alter my shadowing techniques, but I think I could produce some of my best work here.

"If you don't get your head out of the clouds, you're going to miss them," Elektra's voice buzzes in my ear, gruff and husky as usual. "I don't see those guys anywhere, and it's not like they're hard to miss, either..."

"She'd look but I don't think she spontaneously grew a whole foot since boarding the plane," Leo defends, putting his hands on his hips. "And don't even ask me to help," he sasses, putting a hand up in the air. "I'm not much taller."

"As if I'd expect help from you, Leo," Elektra barks back. Aggravated, she sighs. "Ren's a giant. I figured he'd be towering over these people." I'd say that Elektra grows impatient, but she's always that way.

"Mother dearest seems upset," Leo whispers into my ear, standing out like a sore thumb. Nervously, he tugs on his suspender straps and looks around. "I know I said I'd bet that Ren and Kya would tear each other to shreds the other day, but I didn't think that they'd be so beaten up that they couldn't pick us up."

"They're just late," I hopefully assure. "Besides, I don't mind staying out here for a while. Even in this one spot, there's so much to see. And I haven't seen Cerberus or the girl he's with, so there's always something to be grateful for."

Warmly, Leo smiles down at me, almond eyes softening his gaze. I stare back into his chocolate pools, feeling like I could dive into their sweetness and be satisfied with just seeing him. Leo is the one who breaks the contact, shifting his weight between his feet and taking in the bustling people. "There's a lot to take in. I remember working in the cafeteria and seeing everyone line up for dessert on Saturdays...I thought that was a lot of people. I can't imagine how you're feeling. You've been locked up in Asylum for six years and went bonkers every time one new person showed up. Now you're here among hundreds...thousands."

Leo promised he would never read my mind, and it's times like these that makes me think he broke that pact. He thinks exactly what I think and seems to be the only one who knows how to console me or share my feelings. And in times like these, when I'm forced into such new and overwhelming environments, that I truly realize how important he is to me; how lucky I am to have such a great and familiar friend by my side.

"It's incredible," I muster. "I wish I could capture it all in my head, like pictures."

Eagerly, a slow smile forms on his elfish face. "Like pictures, huh?" he coyly asks. He reaches into his carry-on bag, fishing for something that he seems anxious to give. "So, you're currently in the market for a camera?"

Leo, not without his usual bravado and confidence, unveils a camera – a digital one with attachable lenses and flash and a wristband. Star struck, I gasp and reach out to snag the small device, but right before my fingertips brush the gadget, Leo pulls it out of reach. "This is actual torture," I grumble, knowing that no matter how far up on my tiptoes I go, I'll never be tall enough.

"I said you were in the market for a camera – not the go-fund-me charity."

"Right. So, what's it going to cost?" I prod, willing to get down on my knees and beg in front of all these people. If that's what it takes – I'll do it.