Darker Than Death

Lana Elwood

With the back window of the criminals' car smashed open, I have a clear view of what's happening inside. Kya and Elektra commute in the vehicle before coming to some sort of agreement. "Dog boy," I snap at the boy with stormy eyes. "Can you get a read on their thoughts?"

Glaring at me with fury and strain, I see him mentally reaching out to tug on their energies. "Leo is too far out of range. Something's coming up, though, so don't screw up."

"I'm not the one who opened the door for five juvenile delinquents!" I shout at him, picking up speed. "Will Ren's power be beneficial from here?" I question.

"No, or I would've used them," Cerberus utters, narrowing his eyes like there's more he wants to say, but he bites his tongue. "Let me try something." Alex opens the sunroof and sticks half his body out. Part of me wants to slam on the brakes and break his spine just so I can work on this mission alone. Alex's powers are quite useful, but the rest of him is totally annoying and extraneous. If he didn't have a mind or a conscience, then we'd get along a lot better.

He raises his hands as thunder stirs. Meanwhile, Elektra swerves into the other lane, weaving in and out between trucks and cars. Behind us, police sirens wail and their patriotic lights flash in my review mirrors. I have clearance from Asylum to do this kind of thing, so I won't be penalized for engaging in a supernatural car chase, but the police can't tell this from the outside of the car. They should be stopped before stopping us.

Above, Cerberus jerks his hand and swings it in an arc, two fingers pointing at the stolen Camaro. A fork of lightning stabs right behind the car, Cerberus forgetting that our target is moving. I would never make that mistake. I never make any mistakes.

"Dog boy!" I screech. "Take care of the police."

He grunts, flashing me a menacing expression before obeying me like the good little pet he is. Using Elektra's lightning, he sends thick, barely-targeted bolts at the three white cars, which either burst into flames or lose control and park themselves off the road – ending their pursuit. Suddenly, Elektra accelerates her vehicle and the range for Cerberus to harness her energy becomes unattainable. As a result, the lightning stops streaking across the sky at Cerberus's command, and Cerberus slinks back to his seat. His tan skin loses color and he struggles to sit up straight again. "Keep up or I can't do anything!" he yells, slamming his fist on the armrest.

"Don't talk to me like I'm not your superior!" I establish my dominance, speeding up until I finally find my criminals.

"You're not," Cerberus replies.

"One bad word from me to Asylum and you're dead. Now get to work up there."

Cerberus grunts and goes to stand, but before that, something I've never experienced before happens. From the backseat of the Camaro, Kya kneels and holds her arms out towards us. There's an intense look on her face. One conjured from pain, fear, and malice. I didn't know someone like Kya could feel such things, or at least display them. I was surprised at learning she killed her parents, but something tells me that when she did kill them, she was wearing that exact face.

I expect her to clench her fists to freeze something; perhaps the rain around us, our tires, or just the whole car altogether. That's been her tactic so far, but then again, she's never looked like this. Cerberus sees what I see. "...the hell?" he whispers under his breath, green-gray eyes widening in worry.

Kya takes a breath so deep I see her chest rise and fall from here. Her fingers space out from each other and she closes her pale eyes.

This is the calm before the storm.