Aoi Owari

Ren Walker

It's just as I said: one minute I'm falling, then the rush becomes too much for my heart, which stopped beating. The next thing I know, my marking is gone and I'm smooth sailing on an actual dragon. Don't ask me how it works. I barely even know, myself. But all that really matters is that life gave me a second chance to be the person I always wanted to be, and it was as if my death symbolized an end to my destructive behaviors, and my coming back to life signaled a rebirth in a better nature. For some reason, I feel stronger than I did before, and since landing in the middle of a crucial battle, my power has been kicking in my veins more fiercely than it ever has.

While Elwood comes to the conclusion that Cerberus's weakness has corrupted the Reaper into also becoming weak, he turns his attentions to him, where the battle becomes Reaper and Cerberus VS. Elwood. Meanwhile, Kya rushes to Elektra, certain that she can help whatever happened to her. Leo and Sarah stand to the side, understanding that some fights just aren't their own, but they do help. Sarah throws Elwood and Xavier off their games, and though Leo levels his gun every now and then, but he knows the shot is too messy to make.

"I fall down and discover I'm a monster because of my power," Xavier notes, finding humor in my near demise. "You fall down and turn into an actual beast."

"Actually," I correct, sizing him up for possible wound. Unfortunately, there seems to be none. "My marking came to life while I was dead. So, I didn't actually turn into the dragon." Speaking of my marking, it still glows on my arm, as if it's trying to tell me something. While I don't know its actual message, it probably explains the euphoric surge of energy I feel.

"It's fine," Xavier shrugs off, looking almost happy. And this is why: "I just get to kill you all over again. And I've got to say, when Kya cries, that's when she's prettiest. Tell me, when you die for good, do you mind passing her along?"

This time, I'm the one who swings first, furious at everything he just said. Pass Kya down? As if I'd ever let her go. He saw her cry? What the hell did he do when she was breaking down? How dare this sadistic bastard say she's most beautiful when she's in pain. She's perfect all the time.

Our katanas clash, both empowered swords faring well against each other. This go around, Xavier uses his powers to a higher extent; teleporting far away, waiting for lightning to pass, and come up right behind me in the dark. It's only because of my glowing weapon and mark that I can barely make him out in the night. He appears at my side, now, sword already lunging into my side before I deflect it. Crazily, he laughs. "Oh, did I strike a nerve, brother? Did I push the right button?"

"I only have one button," I growl, pushing him away from me and kicking a burst of fire this way, reminding him that he's not the only one with an ability. "And you're it." Xavier sidesteps my flames, disappears, and pops up at my back. Reflexively, I swing my blade behind me, the two metals clanging together as I whirl around.

"Your reaction tells me otherwise," he coos, rearing his katana back and sweeping at my feet. Slightly, I jump, then stomp on his sword, slashing at his chest. It grazes his skin, but before any real damage can be inflicted, he teleports. Convenient, I mentally grouch. When his face shows itself, I find myself instantly parrying an attack. "Tell me, why assign the dojo to Kya? We both know what I'll do to have it back in the rightful Walker name. You're only putting her at greater risk."

Shoving him back, I swing my katana, unleashing a wave of fire. But it's not what either off us were expecting. Instead of raging reds and ominous oranges, it comes out in blazing blues, the temperature hotter than hell itself, the light brighter than the sun.