Cafe Conversations

Kya Carter

When I imagined breaking out of Asylum and leading a fresh life, I envisioned lush apartments, finding a steady job, and meeting new friends who didn't carry the burden of a secret power. Dirty ghettos, stealing, and chili cheese dogs weren't on my agenda. I actually miss Asylum right now.

I've decided to part from the group. After their heist, I'll meet with them and say my goodbyes, but then that's it. I don't want to start off my new life with high hopes only to get arrested for breaking a billion laws.

With a heavy heart, I made my way to the café. Finding a computer, I searched the web for a résumé template. I can make a few copies, send them a few places, and move to wherever I get a chance to work. It's as simple as that. Maybe I can even make enough money to meet my friends at Japan the right way.

As my fingers type away, the bells above the doors aggressively ring as a blast of cool air settles in the café. Geez, who knew that bells could possibly sound aggressive? After finishing the template, I form a joint email including the business I'm interested in working for. About to hit the send button, the computer goes completely black.

But, ladies and gentlemen, this is not a sign from the universe; it's a sign from Ren.

Holding the, now unplugged, power cord and slamming his hand on the desk, Ren shoots lasers from his glowing eyes. "What the hell do you think you're doing? Running out on them?"

"You should be happy," I mutter as a waiter hands me a coffee. "Oh, I didn't order a coffee."

"Sweetie, I know, but," the man looks at Ren wearily. "This one's on the house."

Well someone knows their stuff. "Leo and Sarah hold you in the highest regards and you're turning you back on them. Imagine how they'd react if they saw you now."

I take a sip of coffee before responding. "They'd react a lot better than you are. Shouldn't you be shooting off fireworks or something? I'm finally getting out of your mutated hair."

"That's not the point. They need you and you need to be there for them," he argues, hovering over me like a cloud of fury. "No matter what."

"You refer to those people as 'them,' as if you're not a part of the group," I calmly point out, studying Ren. His energy right now is off the charts. He feels guilty and ashamed; angry and upset. "You were planning on leaving, too, weren't you?" Ren looks away, sighing. "Why? You have a home, Ren."

Yanking my chair around to face him, Ren pushes it on the back legs and gets in my face. Seething, he growls, "That place is not my home. Not anymore."

Heart beating a little fast, I feel vaguely nauseous. Ren's chi and aura are spiking like crazy. The room gets a little dizzy and my stomach starts to churn. Though I'm seeing triple, I reach out for Ren's face with both hands. I hear him gasp, but I close my eyes to try and block out the visual disorientation. "Ren, you need to calm down. Your energy, it's..."

"Calm down?" he vexingly echoes, the energy spikes getting worse.

For a second, my arms grow weak and they slide down to his shoulders. Desperately, they grip his shirt. "Ren, the swap – I'm picking up your intense emotions, just stop."

"What are you talking about?" he asks, voice quieting down. "Kya, you're wavering." Gloved hands upright my chair and steady me by the shoulders. "What's going on?" Ren's voice has calmed but his energy remains consistently crazy.