Dilemma

Ren Walker

Elektra drove for five hours, leading us to the nearest airport and stopping in a vacant lot. The moon is bright and causes shadows to shift and stretch against the potholed streets and cracked sidewalks. "This is it," she grumbles, eyes heavy with exhaustion. "We're sleeping in here tonight, everyone. Deal with it." With that, she shuts her light green eyes and leans back in her seat, locking her door, crossing her arms, and slouching.

"It's not ideal," Sarah hesitantly admits, shuffling a bit and leaning her head on Leo's shoulder. "But it's a lot better than spending another night in Asylum." She nestles against him and rests her frail hands in her tiny lap, shutting her lavender eyes.

Leo looks a bit shocked at the action and his cheeks flush as red as the ends of my hair. Nevertheless, he wraps an arm around her dainty shoulders and leans his cheek against her head. "Yeah," he agrees, eyes already closing. "A hell of a lot better."

Behind me, Kya gently smiles at the two, leans against the door, and looks out the window.

I'm exhausted, but I doubt I'll be able to sleep. I feel like my mind is about to split. After talking with Kya, I made it evident that I would go to Japan with the group of misfits and see how I feel about staying with them when the time comes. Sure, I usually figure out things on the fly, but this has to do with my entire life; one wrong move and I could be back in Asylum's clutches. Asylum, who is undoubtedly hunting us right now.

If I stay with this group, will my chances of being caught increase or decrease? With a strong character like Elektra, there's a decent chance of being able to fend off Asylum maniacs if they intercept us. Then again, there's Leo, who needs to be monitored at all times or else he would find a way to freeze hell over. But I think if we try, we can all blend in like normal human beings.

On a more personal level, there's the issue of staying at the dojo again. There's nothing but awful memories in that place and just thinking about thinking about it makes my stomach churn. Could I really go back there and live the rest of my life happily? No, not happily...I ruined that chance after betraying my family. I guess the question I should be asking is if I'll be able to live with myself if I go back there.

All this debating gets my nerves worked up, and being a sun descendant, I get all hotblooded and sweaty. Sighing, I get out of the car, and silently shut the door behind me. The cool air feels refreshing and I strip off my jacket, carrying it with me and laying it in front of the car on the ground, where I sit on top of it and lean against the vehicle. The sky is remarkably clear of clouds and eerie night fog, and the stars dot the darkness with bright smiles. Closing my eyes, I find comfort in the silence which contrasts the noise in my head.

Suddenly, all my senses are stimulated with a placid calm. My thoughts are expelled, my nerves stabilize, and I feel my body de-tense. The scent of vanilla wafts over and floods my nose and I find myself taking a deep breath, unsure of where this relaxation is coming from but not questioning its origins. I let myself be consumed in the euphoria before I hear a voice right next to me, and I rocket out of my ease.

"Don't tell me you've developed insomnia, too," Kya halfheartedly jokes, crossing her legs at the ankle and crossing her arms as she coolly leans against the car. "I'll have to deal with you all day and night."

"I just needed fresh air," I answer, shooting her a glare. "Fresh air which you polluted with your presence..." Yeah, your vanilla-y, oddly calming presence. I can only assume she carries such an atmosphere because she's a water bender.

"What's on your mind?" she questions, gray eyes vacantly scanning the area.

"Nothing," I lie, nonchalantly shrugging and splaying a palm open for a small flame. It's getting colder now that I've calmed down, and I also want to take my mind off the matter of Japan. "How are you feeling since the café?"