Distance

Ren Walker

An hour before my dreaded celebration, I stood at the observation deck. Because it's farthest away from the pavilion and the harsh whispers, or because it's the last place I saw Kya, I don't know. But I need to stop worrying about it. And the others. It's time to push aside concerns of them and fill my role as the house's master and Japan's Dragon. As much as I tell myself this, it didn't stop me from resting my head in my left hand and watching my right one like it didn't belong to me; the one that meant to help but ended up hurting. That's just like me.

"Master Walker!" one of the Sages called down below. "It's chilly. Do you have your jacket?" My jacket? Father never bought me one. This was Xavier's jacket.

"I do," I confirm, walking to the other side of the deck and peering below at the Sage. The top of my vision is fringed by my overgrown hair, the red tips so obnoxious I could rip them out, or burn them. "Did you check the house, as asked?" I want to see if anyone's come back from their separate trips. There was no particular reason for it. It's my house and I should know who's in it.

"Yes, Master Walker. No one has returned yet. I've sent out one of the escorts who returned very recently. Reported, three are on their ways back."

I stare down at the Sage, the one who tended to be around me the most. The one who usually took care of my frequent errands and requests. I feel disgusted that I don't know his name, even though disclosing it to others is a disgrace in their culture. He claims that he's touched that I ask him about his personal identity so frequently – more than his previous masters – but it doesn't make me feel much better. I wonder now if he's withholding the identities of who is coming back on purpose because he's testing me. Three are on the way; one is missing. Is it Kya or Elektra? I know Leo and Sarah wouldn't go anywhere without the other, so...

"Thank you," I dismiss. A part of erasing my concern for these buffoons is to stop talking about them. Even to the Sages. "When must we part for the village?"

The Sage looks at the moon for a measure of time. "In approximately fifteen minutes, Master Walker." Walker. The name of my father and my brothers. The name of murderers and traitors and liars. It fits me well. "The people have arranged a parade and chariot in the Dragon's honor."

"My honor," I correct.

The Sage is a bit taken back, knowing I've despised the label for so long. "Yes, Master Walker. My apologies. Shall we begin descent? There's a vantage point to arrive at for your station at the parade."

"Fantastic," I bitterly snap. I've always hated the parties thrown in my name. I'm not a totem for Japan's luck; I'm a curse – a stain on humanity, like Father said. Funny. Xavier isn't here to mock me and haunt me, yet I can't help but think heavily on the past. Maybe because not much has changed between then and now.

I go down the ladder and let myself drop the last couple of feet, landing with a thud. The outfit I've been designated to wear is stuffy, heavy, and gaudy. A think kimono of red with golden embroidering. It trails behind me and the sleeves are extra roomy. "You're due for a haircut, Master Walker," the Sage tells me.

"Can we get it done now? Just a quick trim."

"As you wish, Master Walker. Then we should get going."

Something elates in my chest, as if I'm experiencing frenetic energy – wild, untamed, and joyous. I'm certainly feeling none of this, but I know where it comes from. Kya. I should feel glad that despite what I've said, she still manages to find the happiness in life. But it makes me wonder if, in the end, I really didn't mean as much to her as she meant to me. That my hurtful words meant nothing because I meant nothing.