Buckling Down

Kya Carter

It was three in the morning by the time my night of festivities ended. If I was anyone else, I would've dropped dead of exhaustion by the time this whole thing even started. But I'm Kya Carter, and because of my tie to the moon, I'm an insomniac who comes even more alive at night. After dancing, Alistair took me to the best vendors this little village has to offer. When I could, I discretely flashed the Dragon medallion, prompting the sellers to say "on the house."

We both got a rice cake and sat on a ledge, watching as the crowd got thinner and thinner with exhaustion and the fireworks show got less extravagant, nibbling on the snack. Neither of us said it, but we both knew that this would be the last thing we do together tonight. I wonder if there will be room for more nights like this, or room for Alistair at all. He's been a great companion, as well as a fantastic change of pace from my normally hectic life. I could use a bit of this more often.

I steal a glance at Alistair, who serenely gazes at the sky, his blue eye the one visible to me. Ethereal. That's what this is: magical, but bound to end and leave me wanting more. I frown at the fact, but am grateful that I got this opportunity at all – to feel like a normal teen girl who stays out late, dances with charming strangers, and gets those wily butterflies in her stomach.

Too quickly, we finish our desserts. Neither of us say anything for a while, both of us watching the crackling display of gunpowder and listen to their explosions. Finally, Alistair Azarias breaks the silence, glancing down at me. "It's getting late." Meaning: we should get going our separate ways.

"It is," I agree, sliding off the ledge and adjusting my kimono. "I had a fantastic time, thanks to you."

Boyishly, he grins, but there's a hint of sadness in his eyes, too. "Well, you shouldn't be the only one saying thank you. I had a blast." We stand next to each other, staring into the other's eyes, trying to find words to say.

"You should get home," I tell him, sounding more dismal than I meant to. "Your parents might be worried."

"Parents? I'm in my twenties, I live on my own," he teases. "Anyways, they're not around anymore..." A dark expression crosses his face. Was it their death that tore his strings? Or something else? I may never get to find out. "Sorry, I didn't mean to go down that path." He tries to laugh off the awkward air around the sensitive topic. "I'll call a cab for you."

"Thanks," I hesitantly say, mind whirring while Alistair speaks Japanese on the phone. I wonder how long he's lived in Japan to become so fluent.

"We have to walk two blocks and they'll be there. I can wait with you; it will only take a few minutes," he tells me, stealing my hand and gently holding it. He offers me one of his lopsided grins as my face flushes a bit. As we walk, he asks, "Do you live far from here?"

"Not at all!" I cheerily chirp, then worry if I sound too eager. Maybe Alistair lives around here, too, and we can see each other again sometime. Clearing my throat, I attempt for more nonchalance and ask, "Do you?"

"Umm..." he scratches the back of his head with a free hand. "I move around. Jumping from one hotel to another, couch surfing at the mercy of some friends."

"Oh." He doesn't have a reason to stay. "I see." Though I was expecting not seeing him again, I'm still a touch let down. We wait at the designated spot, the arrival of a cab inevitable. "How long do you plan on staying here?"

Alistair shrugs. "A day. Maybe two." Knowingly, he looks at me with a sly glint in his eyes. "Were you hoping for more time with me, Ms. Carter?"