Redrawn Alliances

Alex Severo

It's pretty hard to confront two non-evasive fighters by using evasive techniques, but I manage to make it work. I've mainly been using Kya's power to erect ice walls to separate the two, as well as using Elektra's ability to redirect lightning bolts. I still refuse to try and tap into Lana's skill, because I don't think I have what it takes to use death to make me temporarily immortal. Despite the intense and enormous stretch of time this battle has lasted, neither Lana nor Elektra let up on their power use, and neither show signs of fatigue. Not even mildly.

I, however, am not used to holding grudges against people to the extreme. Or used to running around all over the place trying to kill someone with everything I've got. I'm exhausted already, and I wonder if I'll drop dead on my own without Elwood even having to be here.

I'm not afraid to die, or even about what comes in the afterlife. I'm just worried that my own end won't be swift. Lana said that Takumi was tortured to death in front of her by her father. Does Elwood have the same thing in mind for me? Or is tonight chaotic enough for him to just want me to cease breathing, rather than go through the elaborate plan of making me bleed?

I guess we're about to find out, because emerging in the distance is Elwood, taking his damn time. "Lana!" I shout, jutting my chin out towards the approaching outline. It's easy to tell who he is, even if you've never spoken to him. Elwood is composed of jagged edges and sharp points, every part of him like a weapon. His stride is fluid yet stiff, as if he knows every part of him is massive, lethal, and important. His shoulders make a straight line – pushed back and leveled. He carries himself similarly to Xavier; all-knowing, aware of the immensity of their bodies, willing to do damage if not for fun.

"What?" Lana barks, following my line of sight for a brief moment. Her chocolate brown irises fall darker in the night as they rest on her father. "Shit." Then, she looks to me, remembering that tonight is my last night. Her expression becomes vulnerable and urgent, like a deer caught in a hunter's trap. Both know that there's nothing they can do to change their situation, but they can't help but panic. "Alex..."

Even Elektra pauses her attacks and melees when we do, her mutated eyes taking in Elwood approaching in the distance. "Dammit," she hisses. "Better finish this quickly, then."

Giving it my all, I create a thick wall of ice, not as good as Kya's, but good for someone who's leaching off her power. The opaque substance blocks Lana and I from Elwood and Elektra's views. For the last time, I tug her into a kiss, cupping her soft-skinned, slender face, the rain moistening our lips as they touch. It doesn't last nearly as long as I wanted, though I wanted forever. The inevitability of my final moments make Lana mew a weak whimper, and I part from her mouth and pull her into a gentle hug, cradling her head and stroking her hair. "It's okay," I promise as a flash of lightning blasts from the sky and to the ground, shattering the ice. The light highlights Elwood's facial features, which are distinguishable with his proximity. More shakily, I repeat, "It's okay," hoping I sounded as sure as I wanted to be, but feeling less confident as time wears on.

Before either our opponents can see our intimacy, we tear apart from each other. The only thing good about the darkness tonight is that it hides my tears from Lana. And maybe, it hides her own from me, too. "Elektra!" I shout louder than needed, this way I keep the vibrato out of my tone. As I say her name, she summons a bolt of energy, letting it course through her body as she looks at me and listens. For protection, I also call upon the heavens for a weapon, letting it also course through me as my body takes on her markings.

"We've been through this before," she growls. "Remember?"

I do remember. We shot bolts right at each other and caused a giant explosion, right before she escaped Asylum and helped cause this enormous mess. "Put this fight aside for now," I plead. "Help us defeat Elwood, then I promise, we will stay to finish this fight."