Day Off

Leo Hernandez

My arm was set in a cast, which was painstakingly plain and boring. Of course, I had to decorate it. Sarah used unique shades of metallic materials to draw hearts and those cute little designs that make everything look better, while I took up the liberty of using the brightest pink color I could find to draw my personal mascot – the chili-cheese dog, oh noble meal of the west. I've actually been working on a national anthem, but most of my ideas aren't good enough for the food that gives me strength.

I guess an update on everyone is due. Alright, let's see...

Well, with the Reaper and Cerberus being unsuccessful in their attack, there's been talk of what everyone is going to do once this all blows over...if something as monumental as this just "blows over." More like a monsoon comes in, sweeps this sucker up and, hopefully, carries it far, far away and... You know what? Never mind.

Anyways, word of Elektra tracking down her birth parents has spread around the dojo like wildfire. We've all been really supportive of her, and have offered our help to her countless times, but each time she thanks us but rejects our help. Since the attack, Elektra seems a lot more...approachable. She's still got that cutting-edge glare, the aura of "I will kill you," and the animalistic grunts to accompany her short responses, but it's all different now. Those glares, turns out, are just her natural face, which she adopted from a young age of having to adapt to a harsh lifestyle. The aura of the typical villain still stands, but it's been adjusted to "I will kill you if you offend me, glare at me, bother me, or try to kill one of my acquaintances." Those lousy grunts she gives us now aren't paired with a reluctance to speak, anymore. Elektra hasn't opened up yet, but she's opened up to the idea of opening up.

She still calls me things like "twiggy" and "skinny," but who would Elektra be without those fun and exciting nicknames?

Ever since Kya woke up, Ren's been at her bedside, or so I'm told. I haven't been able to sneak a peek and check up on her. Ren has Sages guarding the door, giving access to only Ren, the healers, and the water bending specialist. I'm not surprised, though. Something feral and brutal made a presence in Ren the instant we learned Kya was in danger. Again, I remember that look on his face when he was out of strength, then saw Kya. It was like the world flipped upside down and he suddenly stood a chance. Often, that's how I feel with Sarah. And when Ren finally reached Kya, despite how urgent and impatient he was to save her, he took his time and met her needs before his own. I don't know about you, but I sense love in the air.

Then again, I've sensed love in the air for a long time between those two.

Up next, we have Sarah; the prettiest, smartest, perfect-est woman I've ever met. I have been vying for her for five years. Five years. And at last, when we're in the most dangerous situation of our lives, Sarah confesses not only that she has feelings for me, but that she loves me. The main reason I never told her about my feelings sooner, like on the Ferris Wheel in Yokohama, was because I didn't want to burden her with so many other things going on. But now I don't have to worry about such trivial things like that anymore. We love each other. We always have, I think. It's just nice to have it admitted to each other.

As for Sarah, herself, she's still petrified of her own scars. I've been coaxing her to take off her jacket every now and then, or wear shorts around the dojo. Sometimes I think she's about to give in, but her eyes get this hazy look of nostalgia before refocusing and refusing to change. I wonder if there was one fight in particular that Sarah is really scarred from, or if it's the amount of times she's used her power that freaks her out. Whenever I try to pry for answers, she holds my hand and promises me she'll tell all, just not yet. I trust her. I've waited five years to be able to tell her I love her. I'll wait for five more eternities if I have to.