one

Babysitting an eleven year old kid had never been on my list of things to do. I had imagined myself getting a job at a pizzeria or McDonalds.

I fixed my Nirvana shirt before raising my fist up and knocking on the door. The house was medium sized and I had met with Mr. and Mrs. Irwin once before. They were very nice people and I hope their son was just like them.

"Luke! You're here!" Mrs. Irwin smiles wide. Was I early or something? Or did she just great everyone that way?

I give her a small smile and nod, "yep. I'm not early, am I?"

She shakes her head. "Not at all! You're just on time. Come in, come in." I walked past her and into the house, stopping to wait for her to close the door. "Harry, come meet your babysitter!"

A boy comes jumping down the stairs and smiles at me. "Hi, I'm Harry."

"I'm Luke." I smile, shaking the hand he reached out.

"Do you like video games?" He asks.

I shrug, "somewhat, yeah."

"Awesome! Okay, bye mom!" Harry says, eagerly.

"You remember all the rules, right?" Mr. Irwin asks.

I nod, "yes sir, of course."

"Don't mind our older son, Ashton." Mrs. Irwin whispers. "He'll be around with his friends, but you don't have to worry about him, just Harry."

I smile small, "yes ma'am."

"You are such a gentleman." She gushes before following her husband out the door.

"I'm playing FIFA, wanna join?" Harry asks and I nod.

"Yeah, sure."

I follow him up the stairs and down a long hall until we turn into a room with stay out plastered on the door. On top of the door frame is a little sign saying Harry's Room. His room had video games scattered all over the floor, his bed was unmade, and his dresser drawers were wide open with clothes hanging out at different angles.

"Why don't we straighten up your room first?" I question, knowing he's probably gonna hate me for saying that.

He simply shrugs his shoulders, "okay."

"I'll make your bed while you stack those games neatly in a pile, yeah?" I say and he simply nods, getting right to it.

No kid has ever listened to me the first time I tell them to clean up. I was shocked to see this little boy listening. His parents must have raised him quite well; I'd have to tell them that.

I could hear laughter a couple rooms down, but I took no notice to it, knowing it was their other son and his friends.

"Okay, done!" Harry smiled. "Now what?"

"Fix those clothes in your dresser and shut all the drawers." I say as I finish the bed. I watch Harry shove his clothes into his drawers and shut them one by one.

"Okay, let's play now!" He smiled.

"Okay, one game and than we're going to make you dinner." I say sitting next to him on the floor.

~~

I finish stirring the milk into the mix and spoon some out onto a plate, handing it over to Harry. His eyes lit up at the macaroni and cheese, and he dug right in.

"This is delicious! You make it so much better than Ashton!" Harry smiled and my eyes shoot over to him at the familiar name.

Ashton.