[152] Brian May Imagine - Patching Things Up

Laughing softly, Brian nodded. "Alright, I'll keep that in mind." He seemed to know his way around this little town, but he left her completely in the dark about it.

Other than in the beginning of the drive, she was starting to really enjoy the mystery. She didn't get frustrated by what Brian was doing, she was curious what he had planned. This trip was starting to seem like a good idea, she was forced to be close to him in a confined space. She wasn't forced to hug him and that was good, because she knew she would have been uncomfortable with that. But they were much closer than they had been during the past months. Not even during the nights they had been so close, because Charlotte had been sleeping in the guest room. Or occasionally on the couch. It was something that she had started doing after the second time she had found out that he cheated on her. It was what she had done since.

There were only a few weeks during she had actually slept next to him in the past couple of years. It was during the time when she had been optimistic - or maybe just naive - enough to think that he was faithful to her again, only to find out the truth not long after. Since then, more than half a year ago, they hadn't slept in the same bed at all. They hadn't even been remotely close. There had been no hugs, no cuddling on the couch, most days they hadn't even eaten dinner together.

It felt a little like had turned into strangers over time, strangers with wedding rings on their fingers. Being close to him the way she was now, was strange. But it was good, and she knew that. She was allowing herself to be optimistic about their relationship again. She hadn't really expected it, but maybe there was hope for their marriage after all, maybe they could revive it, somewhat go back to the way things had been.

"Do you want a piece?" Charlotte asked and held a piece of chocolate out for him.

Brian shook his head. "You don't have to share, it's your chocolate."

"You know you want some, come on.." She teased him a little and smiled at him.

"Well, if you insist, then I'm not going to keep saying no." He took the piece of chocolate and smiled at her. "Thank you, I appreciate that you share your food with me." While he said that, he parked the car again and looked at her. "Now you can get out."

Curiously she looked around before she did exactly that. "Where are we?" She asked, pulling her coat a little tighter around her after she closed the door. It was February and they were almost directly by the seaside, so the wind was strong, and biting cold. Brian noticed she was cold and walked over to her. Hesitantly, he gently wrapped his arm around her shoulder, trying to shield her a little from the wind. Charlotte glanced up at him for a moment when he did, surprised that he initiated such contact between them. But it felt nice, and it helped against the wind, so she let him.

"Come on, let's go inside, it's just over here.." Brian told her, not really answering her question. He just led her along the pavement, he clearly knew where they needed to go.

When Brian let go of her to open the door, Charlotte looked up at the sign on the facade of the building. "A hotel?" She asked surprised before she hurried inside the building, eager to get out of the cold.

Brian nodded and followed her, just as eager to get inside, rubbing his hands together in an attempt to warm them up a little. "Yes... a hotel. The best in town." They stood next to each other in the lobby, seemingly having forgotten again how close they had just been. They kept a cautious distance between them and Charlotte had her arms wrapped around herself.

She smiled a little and shook her head, keeping her eyes down. "Brian.. that really isn't necessary, we can drive back after lunch," she told him, looking anywhere but at him.

Brian didn't make an attempt to close the distance between them, but he was looking at her. "No, I insist," he said softly, but firmly. "Please, Charlotte. I want us to have some time for ourselves. Without any distraction, just us two. I want us to spend time together, and talk, and relax, and just ... focus on us again. You know we need that.."