[43] Brian May Imagine 13

Again, this is a short little something that I wrote really quickly so it might not be all that good but my experience tells me that you'll probably enjoy that too. So here you go. I'll probably continue this at some point, but for now I hope you enjoy this :)

(yes, I know it's Brian again. But for me he's the easiest to write for. I'll post someone else soon I promise)

  •  •  •  •  •  •  • 

She took a deep breath and sunk down on one of the chairs in the corner of the room. It was such a relief to have found a spot from which she could observe the action rather than take part in it. The latter was so stressful. She was always envious of people who managed to interact with other people as if it was no big deal because she simply couldn't figure out how to do that. She tried and tried, but it seemed impossible. How did you simply go up to someone and have a conversation that didn't turn awkward after three seconds? She seemed to be the only one who couldn't answer that question.

Everyone else in the room was talking to someone, laughing and having fun, everyone except her, that was. She would definitely never dare to go up to a group of people and interrupt their conversation, because that was definitely worse than starting a conversation. She hadn't even really wanted to come to this event, but she knew she should, because she needed to get to know people. She had just moved to London and didn't know anyone in this huge city. That was a little intimidating, and she would love to change that but that awkward phase of getting to know someone was something she would have loved to skip. Especially because everyone seemed to know each other already somehow.

It was a getting-to-know-each-other event of the photography club of the university, so technically she should have had enough to talk about with whoever because they all had at least one similar interest, but alone the act of going up to someone and making that first step was so intimidating that she preferred awkwardly sitting in the corner by herself. As the only one.

Sighing, she let her eyes wander over the room once more when something caught her attention. She wasn't the only one. There was someone else sitting on a chair alone, looking a little intimidated by the situation. That meant technically she had someone she could go up and talk to, but there were two tiny problems. One: she had to go there and start the conversation. And two: it was a guy. And talking to a guy she didn't know was a lot worse than talking to a girl she didn't know because she always made an even bigger fool of herself when she talked to guys. She had no idea what it was but there definitely was a problem with her and guys.

However, there was something, she could hear her best friend's nagging voice in her mind. Back home she'd always had the real thing, her best friend telling her to stop thinking and start doing. And somehow she could feel her resistance melting slowly. When she called her best friend again the next time she wanted to have something good to tell. And even if it was only the fact that she tried. The conversation didn't have to be a success, it mattered that she tried. Didn't it?

Again, she took a deep breath before she started to get up. But she stopped herself just in time and looked at the guy again. He didn't look evil or something. Hopefully he wasn't here with anyone and she was being awkward and interrupting them. But - as her friend would say - unless she asked she couldn't know for sure. So she tried again. She got up and slowly made her way around the room, not through the middle but along the walls because that way she maybe attracted less attention.

She walked slowly, but eventually of course she still reached the guy, and was standing in front of him awkwardly which caused him to look up at her.

"Uhm... hello," he said in a soft voice, looking at her curiously.

"Hi," she said, trying to make her smile not look too weird. "Uhm..." Yes. The plan had been good but the execution was already failing.