Fireproof

(Matilda's POV)

"It's probably going to be sore for a couple of days just try not to touch it okay?" The doctor says snapping her rubber glove, she took out my stitches and informed Tom that the abscess was actually just a pimple on the back of my head.

"Thank you doctor." Tom says, Dr, Shay nods and walks out of the examination room. "We've got a while before your appointment with the therapist would you like to go and visit my mum?"

"Sure I'd like that" I hop off the table and follow Tom out towards the parking lot, I slide in passenger side of the car and buckle up. Tom puts the gear shift in drive I turn on my phone to find that I missed a call from Nick, I press the call back button and wait for someone to answer, the phone rings several times before Nick finally picks up.

"This is me," Nick says into the phone,

"Hello to you too"

"Tilly! Why haven't you called me you son of a nutcracker!

"I've been busy, why haven't you called?"

"I uh Tilly I have a boyfriend."

"That's amazing! What's his name? What's he like?"

"His names Leo and he's just so sweet and charming and he dances tap too! You would  love him Til he's just the sweetest thing."

"Is this love Nick?" I ask remembering Leo from the dance competition, I gave him Nicks number.

"Possibly," I can hear him blush, there's a loud bang

"What was that?" I ask,

"It's nothing, can I call you later?"

"Ya sure, bye Nick."

"Rock on Mal, DAN WHAT THE HELL-" the call disconnects and the line beeps and beeps, I place my phone in my lap and run my finger over the broken leather stitches on the seat.
I watch out the window as Tom pulls the car into a driveway, grandma is standing on the porch waiting for us. She has a huge smile plastered on her face, when Tom parks the car I jump out and run towards Diana.

"Grandma!" I exclaim, she pulls me into a tight hug and kisses my cheek,

"Darling! How's your head?"

"It's better, I got the stitches out this morning." She placed her hands on my shoulders and gives me a reassuring shake,

"That's fantastic! Your just in time for lunch, come on!" I follow Diana into the kitchen with Tom hot on my heels, he's not saying very much. Diana's house is quaint and cozy, it reminds me of a coffee shop. Pictures of Emma, Tom, and Shara hang high on the walls.

"Awww you were so cute!" I exclaim, jabbing my finger into Toms stomach.

"He sure was! There are some more photos in the living room I'll show you afterwards. Come and eat!"

Grandma had made a roast chicken for lunch, it was delicious. At 12:40 Tom ushered me out of the house and towards the car.

"Come on Mal, we can't be late."

{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}

"Matilda?" The assistant called, from the front desk, I push myself out of my chair and Tom follows "down the hall it's the purple door on the right, your Dad can go back with you if you want."

"Thank you" I respond politely. I step into the corridor and look for the purple door, it's all the way down at the end of the hall. My sneakers squeak on the floor making me very uncomfortable. I stop in front of the purple door, I hover my hand over the door knob and stare down at my feet. "Tom I would prefer if you just stayed out hear, please?"

"Okay." He says quietly, he sits down in the chair and folds his hands, "I'll be out here if you need me."

"Thank you." I turn the door handle, and step inside the room. It's amazing there's pictures of different places on the walls, Paris, Rome, New York, Venice, Greece, and Tokyo. The walls are white with purple accent pieces.There's a record player, sitting in the corner playing swing music, and two purple chairs sitting across from one another.

"You must be Matilda," the doctor says, I jump not recognizing her presence, "I'm doctor Cook but you can call me Tenly if you like. Please have a seat." She says gesturing towards the purple chairs, she sits down in one and I sit down in the other. She's pretty, she's got dark brown hair and soft hazel eyes, he hair is cut to her shoulders it falls in loose beach waves making her look a lot younger than she probably is.

"I uh like your office." She smiles and looks around,

"These posters are of places I've been to, I've lived in some actually." She has just the tiniest hint of an accent

"Which ones?"

"New York, Venice, and Rome. But I'm original from Canada. That's why my accent wavers"

"No way me too! You are actually the first Canadian that I've meet over seas!"

"That's incredible! Where did you live?"

"I was born in Quebec, and after my mother disappeared when I was two my father, sister, and I moved to Vancouver."

"Was that hard when your mother left?" I shrug my shoulders and trip over my words a little bit,

"I wouldn't know."

"Fair enough, what about moving to London? How has that been for you?"

"Its tough, I don't get to see my friends everyday and Tom has put himself at a distance from me."

"What do you mean by distance?"

"He just kinda shuts down and doesn't really say anything. He's there but it's like someone hit the off switch, do you know what I mean?"

"Yes. Yes I do, I understand that you have pretty bad night terrors, could you tell me about one of them please."

I go on to list several of my nightmares for Dr.C she listens and nods the whole time, occasionally she will scribble down something in her note book. But most of the time she's just listening.

"Have you always had nightmares?"

"I have anxiety and from what I've experienced, when I've had a rough day the nightmares are much more vivid and realistic."
Dr.C glances over at the clock on the wall,

"Well that all our time for today, is your dad outside?" She asks, I nod "could you send him in please. Oh and Matilda!" Dr.C says walking behind her desk, "catch!" She throws me a sucker and I snatch it out of the air. I open the door and Tom is sitting in the chair waiting for me,

"The doctor would like to see you in the office, I'm going to go wait by the elevator." I say to Tom, he nods and shuffles into the office. I skip down the corridor feeling ten pounds lighter, it always feels nice to talk to someone who understands what your going through. I lean up against the wall and take the plastic off of my sucker, it's Lemmon my favourite. It takes Tom a while to come out of the office I'm guessing Dr.C is scolding Tom, but then again she seems to laid back, to yell at someone.

"Hey Mal you ready?" Tom asks, he comes out of the Doctors office looking like someone just bought him a pony, or a puppy.

"What happened to you?" I ask pushing the button to the elevator, the door slides open and Tom and I step in

"Well I had a chat with Dr.C and she suggested that I take you back to your home country for a wee little visit, and then since your birthday is coming up..."

"I totally forgot that my birthday was coming up, man time really flys when your stuck in a bed."

"Yes well, let's get home I'll make some dinner then we can watch a couple movies, sound good?"

"That sounds perfect!"

{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}

That night Tom and I had pork chops for dinner, he did the dishes while I took a shower. After that we watched, two movies one of my choice and one of Tom's, so we ended up watching Iron Man and Top gun. I fell asleep on Tom 3/4 of the way through top gun. I have to start packing for our trip tomorrow, when Tom and I go over to Canada and the states I'll be home for my birthday and Comic con, Comic con is more exciting than my birthday.