Sign of the times - Epilouge

(Matilda's POV)

Today's my wedding day, and I'm marrying my best friend. No not Nick, although he is my best man. The man I'm marrying is named Beau, we meet at a dance competition when I was 17. I smooth down the front of my dress, the lace is rough yet smooth under my fingers. The layers of fabric swoosh when I walk and the small crystals catch the light.
"Matilda. May I open the door." A familiar voice asks from outside the door.
"Go ahead." I say, dad opens the door and I appears in the mirror wearing a black suit and tie. His hair has become more grey with age but is smile is timeless. I turn to face dad, I smile spreads across my face.
"Hey old man" I greet, turning to face my adopted father. He kisses my cheek gently and wraps his strong arms around me.
   "You look stunning darling, a beautiful bride." He says, "your family would have been so proud of you."
   "Thank you dad, I miss my sister and my parents but I'm the luckiest girl in the world. You know why? Because I have two amazing dads who would protect me with every last breath in their body. Even if it means the die. I love you more than you know." I kiss dads cheek and wipe away the tear that running down his face.
   "Let's go get you married."

~ 1 year later ~

    "And here's your baby girl!" Dr. C says handing me a crying baby wrapped in pink. Beau sits on one side of my bed, and dad on the other.
   "She's perfect" Beau kisses me on the lips and smiles down at our baby girl. I look over at my dad and sigh. Sweat runs down my face but dad still kisses my forehead anyway. "Wanna hold her?" I ask, I hand dad the baby, and grab my husbands hand.
   "What should we name her?" Beau asks, watching my dad rock the baby back and forth.
   "What about Willow. That was my moms name." I say, Beau nods his head. "That's perfect baby. What about her middle name?" I lean into Beau and whisper into his ear.
   "Could we let my dad pick her middle name?" I ask, Beau nods.
   "Hey dad," I say catching his attention. He looks up from our daughter. "You pick her her middle name." I say, dad looks down at the baby contently. The morning sun light pours in the hospital window, casting shadows in my room.
   "Dawn, Willow Dawn Bennet." Dad says, looking at my husband and I.

~6 years later~

"Daddy come push me on the swings!" Willow calls, Beau kisses my cheek and chases after her. My dad and his new wife sit next to me on the picnic blanket.
"Dad I have something to tell you." I say watching Beau push Willow on the swings. "I'm pregnant. And it's a boy."

~ 9 months later ~

   "Doctor is something wrong?" Beau asks, a growing look of concern spreads across her face. The doctors and nurses all start muttering,
   "Beau what's going on?!" The pull the baby away buts she's not crying. "Why isn't she crying?!" I ask to no one in particular. Dad is out in the waiting room with Willow, and Dr.C my stepmom. "What's going on?!" I scream

"The baby isn't breathing." the doctor says over her shoulder. Everyone crowds around my tiny, defenceless baby girl. Everyone talks in quite panicked voices while I cry into Beau's shoulder. The doctor turns around, with a sad expression on her face. "I'm sorry, the baby is dead." The doctor says.

"let me hold her." I say sitting up. Beau looks at me with concerned eyes "I want to hold my baby." The nurse hands me a tiny blue and purple creature, her eyes closed and her tiny body so, so cold.

"Beau we have to name her." I say wiping away one of my stray tears, he nods and runs his finger down the baby's cheek. "What about Saige Joy Bennet." Beau smiles sadly and kisses Saige's face. "Mommy and daddy love you some much baby girl." Dad walks in the room, without Willow. "Where is Willow?" I ask wiping away another one of my tears.

"Out in the hallway with Tenly looking at the fish in the fish tank. Oh Matilda." My lower lip quivers and my vision blurred with tears. One lands on Saige's cheek, and I wipe it away with my thumb. "Matilda can I hold her." I nod and hand the baby to dad. I lean into Beau and we cry together. Dad holds Saige and sings her the same song he used to sing to me.

"When the night has come

And the land is dark

And the moon is the only light we'll see

No, I won't be afraid

Oh, I won't be afraid

Just as long as you stand

Stand by me

So darlin', darlin'

Stand by me, oh, stand by me

Oh, stand, stand by me

Stand by me

If the sky that we look upon

Should tumble and fall

Or the mountain should crumble to the sea

I won't cry, I won't cry

No, I won't shed a tear

Just as long as you stand

Stand by me

And darlin', darlin'

Stand by me, oh, stand by me

Oh, stand now, stand by me

Stand by me

Darlin', darlin'

Stand by me, oh, stand by me

Oh, stand now, stand by me

Stand by me

Whenever you're in trouble, won't you stand by me?

Oh, stand by me

Won't you stand now?

Oh, stand, stand by me"

~25 years later, February 9th~

"Happy birthday daddy. I'm sorry I haven't visited lately. Willow went off to college, she's studying medicine. The twins, Tom and Molly they turn 12 in a week, they are both so excited, but the other day Molly almost broke my heart. She asked my why grandpa couldn't come to her birthday party. I had to explain to them where you were and why you weren't coming back. Daddy why did you have to leave them so soon. I wanted my kids to grow up with the best person I did. Tenly is fine, she wanted me to say hi." My phone starts buzzing in my pocket, its Molly. "I have to go now, say hi to everyone for me." I lay the flowers in front of the headstone. I kiss my fingers, then touch the shinny rock. The phone rings again and I answer it this time.

"Hi Molly, I'm on my way home now. Love you too."