Birthday

(Matilda's POV)

The loud shrill of an air horn pulled me from my sleep. I jolted upwards panting as I tried to catch my breath. Tom was standing on my bed laughing hysterically.

"Holy son of a nutcracker! What was that for?"

"Happy birthday Mal!" Tom said in between laughs, he stepped down off my bed and extended his hand out to me. I pushed the covers off of my legs and placed my hand in his.

"I'm going to get you back for that," I threaten, Tom doesn't care he pulls me into a tight, bone crushing hug and kisses the top of my head.

"Feel any older?"

"Not really no."

"Well get dressed, we are going to meet up Scarlett and Chris E for breakfast." Tom pushes me into the bathroom, and hands me a dress. It's just above the knee, it's teal and floral print. I'm not big on wearing dresses, but Tom picked it out so I feel obligated to wear it. It's a very pretty dress.

I curl my hair so it falls in lose waves around my shoulders, I put on a very small amount of makeup, so Tom won't notice. I slip a pair of white flats onto my feet and check my reflection in the mirror. Now I feel older. "Matilda are you ready?" Tom asks tapping on the door,

"Ya just a second!" I smooth my dress down, I twist the door knob.

Tom breaks into a giddy smile "Matilda you look absolutely stunning."

"Thank you, you look very nice" He's wearing a white shirt with black pants and dress shoes. He slides his hands into his pockets,

"Come on Mal the cars waiting downstairs" I grab a purse and my phone and follow Tom out of the hotel room.

{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}

The restaurant is seaside, the California coast is beautiful in the morning. The sky is still tinted pink, with puffy white clouds. Scarlett and Chris E were sitting at a table, their conversation was leisurely.

"Morning Scarlett, Chris." Tom greeted as we approached the table, Scarlett stood up and hugged Tom, Chris did the same.

"Happy birthday Mal" Chris said tackling me into a hug, 'thank you' I say but it's not very audible. He lets go of me a sits back in his chair, Scarlett hugs me as well.

"Happy birthday girly!"

"Sit Mal" Tom instructs, pulling my chair out for me, I'm siting next to Scarlett and Chris, right in the middle. Over the course of breakfast we talk about a variety of things, such  as books, movies, music, and family. Scarlett has a daughter, her name is Rose. Chris has a daughter as well Megan, is her name. She is at home today, but Chris and Tom agreed to set up a time when we could meet. When it's time to go I'm sad, I enjoy talking with adults the conversations are much more interesting and intellectual.

"Where are we going now?" I ask Tom, we walk towards the car with the gravel crunching under my feet. The car door pops open and Tom holds the door open for me. I slip into the car. Tom slides in next to me and buckles his seat belt. "Are you going to tell me where we're going now?"

"No Mal not yet it's a surprise, your not very patient are you?"

"No," I respond with a smile "it's not on my list of qualities... When can we go visit Nick and Indigo?" I ask, very impatiently. Tom shoots me a goofy grin and nods

"Very soon Mal, I promise. We have some time before we have to be at the 'place' would you like to go see a movie?"

"What movie?"