Set it all free

(Matilda's POV)

   I woke up a total of four times last night. First time, dad woke me up. Second time, I had to pee. Third time I had another nightmare, and the last time my alarm went off. It's 8:30 and Tom is already awake, he's sitting up in his bed reading a book. I rub my left eye and walk over to my dads bed. He looks up from his book and smiles,
   "Good morning Matilda, I'd ask how your sleep was but."
   "Ya four times. I think that's my new record." I reply sarcastically, I lay down next to my dad and read his book over his shoulder. "Your reading Hamlet?" I ask.
   "Ya, have you read it?" Dad asks closing his book and setting it on the night table.
   "No but I did read Romeo and Juliet for school."
   "Hey um, I have some news for you. Two things actually."
   "Did some one die? Am I in trouble?"
"No Mal of course not but, you know how Crystal was staying with grandma." I nod, getting a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach,
   "Well according grandma she got out one night and never came back, I'm sorry Mal."
   "It's okay, I'll be okay... you said you had two things to tell me." I say tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.
   "So you know how I said when you first came to live with me that you were going to need braces."
   "Ya, I remember they said I'd have to get my wisdom teeth removed- No!"
   "Yes, I'm sorry sweet. But the appointment is scheduled for a week from today." I angrily/dramatically flip onto my stomach and mash my face into the pillow. Dad rubs my back and apologize multiple times.
   "ce n'est pas comment je voulais commencer ma journée" (This is not how I wanted to start my day.)
   "You should go and get ready Mal, we're going to meet with Nick and his dads soon."

{~~~}

   The car pulled up In front of Nicks house, his one dad, John is an interior designer and he's really into Victorian style houses so they all live in the older part of Vancouver. Big old oak trees, rustic lamppost, it's beautiful. The driver puts the car in park and I fly out of the car in a mad scramble. I can here dad yelling at me to slow down, but Nick became like a big brother to me, so I have no intention of slowing down. The front door flys open and Nick comes stumbling out, we meet half way. I jump and wrap my arms around his neck, he's spins me like we're in some cheesy romance movie. But allow me to remind you, he's gay.
    "Oh my god Tilly how I missed you!" Nick says setting me down, he holds my hands in his and kisses my check softly.
   "Matilda!" Tom says, walking up next to Nick an I he smiles and Nick and pats him on the shoulder.
   "Good to see you again Nick." Dad says, Nick shakes his hand.
   "You to sir, would you like to come inside? My dads are in the kitchen, I think that their making your favourite Mal."
   "No way! There making lasagne , Nicks dad Carter, is Italian and makes the best lasagne ever. You'll love it dad I promise."
   "I'm sure I will, let's go inside or are you to going to stay out here and catch up."
   "We will be inside in a minute", Nicks dads are sanding on the porch "remember dad, Carter is the blond one." Dad smiles and walks to the porch, he shakes Carters hand then Johns. They talk about something that gives John a concerned look on his face before they go inside.
"So you have some explaining to do." I say to Nick, as I follow him through his side gate into his back yard. We sit on the couch swing and just talk.
"Matilda my dads are sending me to boarding school because I was expelled from our old school."
   "NICK! What on earth did you do!" I scream at him.
   "Shh Mal keep your voice down. I'll tell you the whole story of you don't scream anymore."
   "Okay, I'm listening." I say crossing my legs, Katie used to say 'cris cross apple sauce'
   "One day Indigo and I were walking to class, with her interpreter, and Dawson's boyfriend was walking behind us and making all these mean and horrible comment about how her deafness is a disease and horrible, shit like that. So I turned around and started punching him and Indigo started to scream, so to spare you more details he's pretty beat up and I was expelled."
   "What about Dawson's boyfriend? Did he get some form of punishment?" I ask
   "His mom is the principle, so no he did not."
Nick leans back in the chair and folds his arms across his chest,
   "I was just trying to stand up for her Tilly, but now I feel twice as bad because she's going to be alone all by here self."
   "I know I feel so bad. But she has her friends from that deaf alliance thing she's in." I lean my head on Nicks shoulder and watch a squirrel run across his fence. "Do you want help packing at least?"
   "I would like that very much Mal." Nick says "but let's just sit here for a minute. For old times sake." We watch a plane fly by and listen to the sound of our dads laughing in the kitchen, it's funny. You never actually realize how much you miss someone until you're forced to slow down.
   "Come on" I say standing up and pulling Nick by the hand "let's go get you packed."

{~~~}

   "But that wasn't fun for me!" You don't come up behind someone when there watching a horror movie and scare them!"
   "But it was so funny for me!" Nicks says laughing. We were packing one of his two boxes and we came across our memories journal.
   There's a soft knock from the other side of Nicks bedroom "Mal, Nick it's time to come downstairs for dinner." Carter says through the door.
   "Be right down dad." Nick replies, I set the memories journals down on the bed and smooth down my hair. The savoury smell of cheese and garlics dance up the staircase, my mouth waters at the thought of Carters lasagne.  
   "I'm starving, let's go and eat." I say, I follow my nose down the stairs into the dining room. Dad is standing there putting blue ceramic plates on the table and talking about reusable napkins.
   "But it saves money", John explains "just think about it. Oh hey Mal." He greets with a smile.
   "Come everyone sit, sit!" Carter instructs caring in a tray that holds the lasagne. We all sit and pray. Then dig into one of the best tasting dishes I've ever had.
   "Excuse me sir," Nick says to my dad "what time to you and Matilda have to be at the airport by?" Dad wipes him mouth with the reusable napkin
   "Not till 12:00 why?" Nick glance and me and then hid dads,
   "Mal, do you want to have a bonfire on the beach?"

{~~~}

   45 minuets later we're all running up and down the beach in our bare feet. Tom, John, and Carter started a fire, while Nick and I splash around in the water. The salty spray of the ocean splashes against my legs and arms.
   "Did I tell you that I have to get my wisdom teeth out when I get back to London" I say digging a seashell out of the sand.
   "No you didn't are you nervous?" Nick question throwing a rock into the water.
   "It's mouth surgery. Of course I'm scared, dentist creep me out. The way the poke at your teeth and make your gums bleed it's gross."
   "You'll be fine Mal, you've got your dad. He won't let anything bad happen to you ever again."
   "I know he won't, come one let's go back to the fire." I slid the purple-ly, blue seashell into my pocket and race Nick back the the bonfire and our dad's.