Love yourself

A/n mostly fluff sorry in advance

(Matilda's POV)

"Matilda! good to see you again!" Dr. Cruz says waling into the dental cube, today's the day I get my braces put on. "I see your in here by yourself today, are you going to be all right?" he asks, pulling a latex glove over his left hand.

"I hope so" I say, my voice small and meek. "sorry doctor Cruz, you seem like a great guy but I'm really not a fan of coming to the dentist and having people poke around in my mouth." he nods and pulls the other latex glove over his right hand.

"No I get it, people don't like things they can't control- Matilda your leg is shaking." I groan and wave it off, Dr. Cruz raises an eyebrow in suspicion but continues. " I talked to your dad in the waiting room and he said to give you laughing if its needed, are you alright with that?"

"ultimately its my dad decision so ya I guess so." A different nurse walks in wearing a mask and a bright purple shirt with smiley faces. Dr. Cruz puts on his mask and leans the chair back. my stomach flutters and I begin too feel even more nervous.

"Dr.Cruz I would like the laughing gas please" I say staring straight up at the celling, he says something to the nurse who pulls the nose piece off the wall and puts it over my nose. "I'll give the gas a few minuets to set in, then I will come back. Alice stay in here with her." I lay there silently smacking my lips because I'm bored and I'm no longer feeling nervous. Dr. Cruz comes back in and shine a light in my mouth. The stupid red expander goes back in my mouth and there is a lot of buzzing and whirring. Finally Dr. Cruz takes out the red mouth expander and leans the chair into the upright position. Alice; the nurse takes off the nose piece and hangs it back up on the wall.

   "How are you feeling Matilda?" Dr. Cruz asks washing his hands in the small sink, I run my tongue over the braces. "Your going to be sore for a while, but Alice will go and get you some wax to put on the sore spots. You should be able to walk now, it was a very low dose of gas."

   "I can walk" I say swinging my legs over the side of the chair, I stand up and Alice hands me a little container with tiny rolls of wax in it. I follow her out of the dental cube and into the waiting room. Dad's standing by the door holding my coat, his warm smile and soft eyes are comforting. I smile back at him but I make an effort to keep my mouth closed,

   "Come on Mal show me" dad insists, "it can't be that bad" I shake my head and keep my moth closed. Dad helps me put my coat on and we walk to the car together. I'm quite on the drive home because I'm not going to open my mouth anytime soon.

   "I'm going to make macaroni for dinner are you okay with that?" Dad asks as we pull into the drive way, he puts the car into park. I nod and open my door, "Are you really not going to open your mouth?" questions dad again.

   'when I'm ready I will' I sign

   "But Matilda why aren't you ready?"

   I shrug my shoulders 'because I'm not' I reply still signing. When I get up to the front door I notice the sound of Lanes cello coming from the house next door I quickly unlock the door and dart up to my bedroom. I open my bedroom door and look through my bedroom window, I can see Lane in his bedroom putting his cello back in its case. I missed it. Lane's rarely home anymore, he got a job teaching at local school and at night he teacher cello. I flop down on my bed and quickly text Nick, he's been in the UK for about a week now, his first day of classes start on Monday. I cup my face in my hand, holy crap braces hurt. I go into my bathroom and turn the light on, I close the door and lock it. I open my mouth and look at the braces, I look at the way the make my upper lip pop out, I look at the way they make my teeth look more yellow. My outfit doesn't look that great either, my hair is in a sloppy pony tail and my sweater has a hole in the pocket. My phone lights up with a message from dad, "dinners almost ready, be down in five' I pick up the phone and text dad back.

   'I will be down in fifteen' I plug in my curling iron and pull my hair out of the sloppy pony tail, I dig through my closet until I find my favorite dress and heels I replace my old sweater with the patterned dress I curl my hair and do my make up. Now I feel better. I turn off my curling iron and slip on my heels. I can smell dad's homemade macaroni. I walk down into the kitchen and dad is setting two plates  out at the breakfast bar. He looks at my out fit and smiles

   "you look nice." he says taking my hand and kissing it. "are you going to talk yet?" I smile and sit down at the counter. I look down at my hands and push back my cuticle dad pulls the baking dish of macaroni out of the oven and sets it on a pot holder. I raise my head and tap on the counter, dad looks at me and digs the spatula into the dish.

   'it smells good' I sign as dad put some cheese covered noodle on my plate. I wait for dad to sit down next to me before eating mine. 'dad can we go for a drive after dinner.' I ask as dad takes a bite of his food. He swallows and nod,

   "Where do you want to go?" he asks taking another bite. 'somewhere, anywhere' for the rest of dinner we sit in silence. "I'm going to change before we go, will you put the dishes in the dish washer for me please?" I nod and start rinsing the dishes in the sink. I put the leftover food in a container. Dad comes down a minuet later wearing black suit. He grabs the car keys and my hand and we walk to the car. We drive in silence before pulling up behind a brick building, Dad pulls the keys out of the ignition, he pulls a strip of black fabric out of his suit pocket.
"Can I Mal?" I nod and let dad tie the blindfold around my eyes, "back in a second" he says the car door opens and closes. I sit waiting for dad to open my door and he does, he walks me into a building I know because I hear a door open, you know one with those metal push things. "Almost there, hang on a second." The sound of dads footsteps receded and his voice get further away "Okay take the blindfold off!" Dad calls his voice faint, kind of like a loud whispers. I pull he blindfold off and look around, we're in a dark theatre. Suddenly the lights go up, I gasp in astonishment.

There's are deep red velvet seats, balconies with gold engravings. The heavy red curtains brush the edge of he stage and the lights. Oh the pretty, beautiful, magnificent, stage lights.
"Do you like it?" Dad asks coming out one of the curtains. "This is where I did my play during September, I thought about bringing you here to see one of the shows. Oh ya! these are yours." Dad says handing me my pointe shoes, I take them from him and sit down of the edge of the stage. I take of my heels and tie my pointe shoes, I stand up and wait taking in the familiar feeling of being on the stage, this feels like home. I'm home.

"What song do you want me to put on?" Dad asks, Dad holds out his phone for me and I take it. I smile at his music purchases, I click on the song 'love yourself' By Justin Bieber . I hand the phone back to dad walk to the centre of the stage. The song starts and dad jumps of the front of the stage to and sits in one of the audience chairs.

I lose my self in the music pushing my body through steps, simple and advanced trying hard to let off steam (while keeping my mouth shut) when the song ends dad comes back into the stage. "Are you ready to show me now?" Dad asks,
'Give me your phone." I say(still signing), dad hands it to me and I select the first slow song I find. 'Dance with me.' I sign dad puts hands on my waist and I put my hands on his shoulders. We sway back and forth in time with the music. I lay my head on his chest near the end of the song.
"I'm sorry I was closed off today." I whisper into dads chest, I close my eyes and let the steady beat of his hear echo though my mind.
"It's okay Mal, I just wish you would talk with me instead of shutting down."

"I know and I'm sorry." Dad takes his hand and rubs it up and down my back, it's a soothing gesture.
"Are you going to show me now?" Dads ask finally, I look up at him and he looks down at me. I open my mouth a little but not all of the way. Dad flashes one of his killer smile "Matilda you look beautiful, I just need you too help me understand why you wouldn't show me earlier?"
"Because I needed to be comfortable with myself first." Dad leans forward and kisses the top of my head gently. "I love you Matilda."
"I love you too dad."