chapter one

I was walking in the rain, heavy downpour. My hair is sticking to my face and my socks are wet. My two least favorite feelings in the world.

All of my belongings in my backpack surely getting drenched.

I always kept my things with me, under my bed in a backpack in case I needed to really escape.

The cut right on my hair line is burning from the water. My face is definitely bruised and swollen.

But I had to get out of there. He was going to kill me.

"Miss!" Someone yelled through the pounding rain against any surface it could hit.

It pulled me out of my thoughts.

I looked around, I couldn't see anyone.

"Miss! Excuse me!" They yelled again.

I looked around some more. I finally saw someone pulling over to the side of the street.

"Yes?" I asked. My throat hurts.

"Do you need a ride somewhere? It's raining cats and dogs out here." The person said. They had the passenger side window rolled down, it looked like another person was in there with them.

I really looked at the person. A male. Looked about mid-twenties. Possibly early thirties.

"No thank you." I said and kept walking.

"Do you have any place to stay?" He asked.

I thought for a minute.

And I shamefully shook my head 'no'.

"Hop in. You can stay with me." The guy said.

Sounded shady, but I was going to catch pneumonia if I stayed out any longer.

So, I gradually walked towards the car.

Opened the back passenger door and slid in.

"Oh my god. How old are you? You can't be more than twelve." The guy said, causing the person in the passenger seat to look back at me.

A woman, around the same age as the man.

"I'm thirteen." I mumbled.

"Did you run away from home?" The woman asked.

"I had no choice to. He was going to kill me." I whispered.

My teeth are chattering.

"What's your name?" The man asked.

"Blake. Blake Ivy Ilene Crowe." I answered.

"Well Blake. I'm Alex Gaskarth, this is my wife Lisa." The man, Alex, said.

And then we pulled up to a house.

Beautiful craftsman style, small porch but I can see from here that the back deck is bigger.

The three of us got out of the car, Alex and Lisa ran to the door. But I still wondered if I should go in or not.

"Blake! Come on! Let's get you in some dry clothes!" Alex called to me.

So I went.

I walked in and sighed. It wasn't like my home. It was clean. Well put together. There were pictures hanging on the walls, actual furniture on the hardwood floors.

This was a home.

Lisa took me upstairs to a room.

"This is Alex's friend Jack's room for when he stays over. But it'll suffice for now. I'll go get you some clothes. The bathroom is across the hall if you need it." Lisa said.