chapter forty-two

Years have come and gone. I've decided on going to a trade school to do cosmetology.

Dylan and I are still together, after four years. We've got a little apartment together. Well. We just moved into it.

"My love! Where'd the cups go?" Dylan called from the kitchen.

"They're by the sink now!" I called back.

I was putting furniture together.

"Drink some water. You haven't had any all day today. Or yesterday." Dylan said, handing me a glass of ice water.

"Thanks Dyl." I smiled.

I took a small sip before going back to what I was doing.

"You look so hot. Even if you are covered in cardboard dust." He smiled, sitting next to me.

"You're ridiculous." I chuckled.

We sat in silence. A comfortable silence.

I sat and thought about my life as I put together this IKEA coffee table.

Never in a billion years, would I ever think that I would have been alive at the age of twenty. I honestly thought I was going to die at thirteen.

But, here I am. Alive. Happy. Healthy. I have a loving boyfriend. A dad. A mom. A little brother.

"I think I'm going to see mom tonight." I said.

Dylan knows when I just say 'mom' I mean my birth mother.

"Do you want me to go with you?" He asked.

"No. I need time alone. I won't be long though." I said.

After I built the table, Dylan helped me flip it over, though I was perfectly capable.

"Okay. I'll be back soon." I said and kissed Dylan's cheek.

I drove to the store, to pick up some flowers. Daisy's. Moms favorite.

Then. I drove to the cemetery.

'Annabelle Rose Crowe, a mother, a daughter, a wife. Forever in our memories. April 7th 1979-June 1st 2007.'

"Hi mommy. I've got a lot to tell you, so you'd better be listening. Dylan and I just got our apartment. We just moved in. It's been. It's been seventeen years since you've passed. To the date. So that means it's Desiree's birthday today as well. Tell my baby sister I said happy birthday.

Um. Alex and Lisa are adopting a baby. A girl. Her name is Annabelle. I just about cried when they told me her name.

Dylan and I are thinking of adopting a dog too. Since Peyton and Baz have passed away. I miss having a pup running around, barking at nothing.

Mom. I miss you so much. And yeah, I've got Lisa. But you're my mom. And you shouldn't have gone so soon. I still needed you. And when dad found out. He blamed us kids. Matt and I. It got to the point where Matt killed himself. Dad didn't go to his funeral.

Miss Ruth, our next door neighbor passed away as well. At the great age of ninety-nine. She watched me graduate, she held a picture of you so you could be there too.

Anyways. I brought you flowers. Daisy's. Your favorite. God. I can't believe it's been seventeen years." I mumbled, wiping tears off my face.

"I'm sorry I haven't been out here in so long. I'm a bad kid. I should come out more often. On you birthday. At least enough to replace your flowers."

I sat with her some more. Until I started to get sticky with sweat.

"I love you so much mommy. I'll be back soon." I took the dead flowers, and replaced them with fresh ones.

On my way home, I decided to call Alex.

"Hey. What's up?" He asked.

"Is mom with you?" I asked.

"Yeah. You want me to put you on speaker?" Dad asked.

"Please."

"Okay. You're live. What's up? You okay?"

"Yeah. I went and saw mommy today. I just pulled out of the cemetery parking lot.

Listen. I wanted to say thank you. For all that you have done. You didn't have to take me in, but you did. You didn't have to adopt me. But you did.

You both have treated me so well, and I never thanked you enough for it. I'm so grateful to have such loving people in my life. You've gotten me through so much shit. Depression, kneeling. All of that.

So just. Thank you. For being there for me." I said.

"Aw baby. You've got your dad crying." Mom said.

"No! Allergies are starting. But that was very sweet of you Ivy. You are a blessing to us. I don't know where we would be without you." Dad said.

"And we always will be here for you. Just give us a call, or come by." Mom said.

"I know. I just wanted to tell you that before I didn't want to be sweet and sentimental anymore. Okay. I'm driving right now, I'll talk to you soon. Okay?"

"Okay. Drive safe. Love you."

"Love you too."

Dylan and I are having a baby.

He and I are surprising mom and dad. His parents too. Along with the guys.

"Okay. Just hold the sign up higher, Jack. Perfect. Okay. Now look at them." I said.

Lisa and Violet screamed, the guys let out a 'holy shit' and Lorenzo. He cried.

"How far along are you?" Mom asked.

"Only like three months. We found out last month." I said.

Mariah Denea Moretti was born, on April seventh, twenty twenty-three. In room nineteen seventy-nine.

Fin