chapter twenty eight

"Ivy. I'm so sorry." Alex stammered.

He tried to help me up.

"Don't touch me." I said quietly, and went to my safe spot. People were only allowed in if I let them in.

I locked both the deadbolt and the doorknob.

When I got to my beanbags, and I broke down into tears.

"Alexander William Gaskarth! What the fuck did you do!" A familiar male voice yelled.

It's Zack.

I can't have anybody fighting.

I ran upstairs and yanked the door open.

Zack had him backed into a corner.

"I asked you what you did to her!" Zack yelled again.

When he's angry, he's scary. And he's protective over me.

Next thing I know, punches were being thrown.

"Stop it!" I screamed. But nobody listened.

"Lisa! Let me go! Zack! Let him go!" I screamed again. I wanted to break it up myself, but Lisa was holding me back. And for being a skinny little thing, she's strong.

But I wiggles just enough to get out of Lisa's grasp.

"Now damnit I said stop it!" I screamed, yanking the two apart.

"You! Go cool off! And you! Get upstairs!" I yelled pointing to Zack first, then to Alex.

Nobody budged.

"Now!"

The two moved in opposite directions.

I first went to go knock some sense into Zack, who walked outside.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked.

"He hurt you. He said he never would and he did." Zack grumbled, still fuming with anger.

"And I'm the one who provoked it. But that doesn't give you the right to beat the shit out of him." I snapped back.

"And this doesn't give him the right to shove you to the ground and give you a full blown anxiety attack because you set some boy straight at school." Zack snapped.

"You need to cool off. Don't go anywhere." I said.

I turned on my heel and went inside.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"Our bathroom." Lisa said.

She's holding a crying Tom.

I ran my fingers through his hair before going upstairs.

"Ivy. I'm so sorry I pushed you. I never meant to hurt you." Alex started the moment I walked in.

"Save it." I said and pushed him to the counter.

I looked in the medicine cabinet and pulled out the first aid kit.

He had a huge cut on his eyebrow and it's pouring blood. His cheek and jaw were bruised.

"How did Zack find out?" Alex asked.

"I don't know." I mumbled, opening the fairly large case.

I pulled out a package of gauze, some medical tape, and some Neosporin. I pulled the hydrogen peroxide from the cabinet and a washcloth from a drawer.

I ran the cloth under cold water and rang it out.

I wiped the blood running down the side of his face, all the way from his chin to the tail of his eyebrow. Then I poured some hydrogen peroxide onto a q-tip from the counter and I pressed it to the tail of Alex's eyebrow.

"Ow." He muttered.

I held in a chuckle as I pressed a little harder. For good measure.

"Ow!" He yelped.

The peroxide started to fizz.

"Seriously, tell me how Zack knew." Alex said.

"I. Don't. Fucking. Know." I said, getting the gauze it if it's package.

Once he was all bandaged up, I went to the kitchen to get him some frozen peas.

"Here, lay down and put this on your face." I said.

He did and I went to go talk to Zack.

"Okay. Who told you?"

"I figured it out myself. You don't run away unless you've been hurt." Zack said.

"I wasn't missing. I was with Jack until I had to go to school Monday."

Zack and I talked a little bit before I convinced him to leave.

I walked back inside and walked to mom and Alex's room.

"Get up." I said, slapping the bottom of Alex's sock covered foot.

He sat up and looked at me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked.

"I'm sorry. I seriously didn't mean to." Alex said, taking the bag of peas from his face.

"You can yell at me all you want. But do not put your hands on me like that again. You hear me Alexander William?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am. It'll never happen again." He said.

"Good. Now I need a few hours for myself." I said, walking out and grabbing my backpack on the way.

Luckily, I didn't get suspended and I have to go to after school detention for an hour every day for a week.

I went to my safe room and did my homework.

When I finished my work, I needed to study my drivers handbook. I'm going to do a class through the school this summer. So I can drive.

I then decided that I was hungry, and it's Monday which means Lisa isn't cooking.

"Hey Mom! I'm going to go get food! You want anything?" I yelled.

"No thanks! I've got leftovers from yesterday!" She yelled back.

So, I walked to Thai Arroy. I really wanted Pad Thai.

"Hey! Nice to see you again!" Bobby, the owners son, said.

He was friends with Dean, up until he found out what he did to Rose and I.

"You too Bobby! Listen, I need two orders of Pad Thai. And then a little container of Sambal." I said.

"And I know you want a large sweet tea. And a small soda." He winked.

"You got it!" I said and he gave me my total.

I handed him a twenty and he gave me two dollars and a quarter.

After waiting about twenty minutes, he brought my food out.

"Thanks Bobby! You're the best." I said as I took the plastic bag and two cups from him.

"You know my name isn't Bobby."

"I know."

I have no idea why I started calling him that. His real name is Derek. It's a running joke between him and I.

I walked home, and walked directly into the basement for a movie and dinner.

Or maybe several episodes of Supernatural.