chapter thirty-nine

When Shane quit filming for the series, it was time for Alex, Dylan, and I to fly home to get ready for the beginning of the school year.

At four thirty in the morning, the three of us walked into the airport.

"Hey kiddo, take your medication on the plane. You forgot to on the way out here." Dad said.

I nodded and grabbed Dylan's hand.

When we got to our gate after going through security, all I wanted was either sleep or coffee.

Alex passed out some Dramamine, which tastes like death. And I took my Xanax.

When it was time to board the plane, I had to hold onto somebody so I wouldn't wander.

Alex has my carry on bag so his hands were full, so I put my hand in the pocket of Dylan's sweatshirt.

"You're next to me, right?" I asked.

Dylan nodded.

"And Alex is across the isle from us." He said.

Once we boarded and got settled, I pulled a book from my carry on bag.

The Xanax hasn't kicked in all the way yet, so I could fully pay attention.

Next thing I knew, we landed.

And then the next day, I went to a Maxillofacial surgeons office.

I've had braces now for about a year and a half. I got them December of last year I believe. Dylan doesn't mind them.

"How are we doing today?" Toni, a nurse, asked.

"Good. I'm kinda nervous about the thing as a whole." I replied. 

Alex, Lisa and Tom were there.

"I would be too. You're going to look so good when it's done though. So I'm just going to take your X-rays. Do you have any removable jewelry on?"

I slipped my necklace over my head and took my rings off. I handed them to Lisa and I got my xrays done and over with.

"Okay. You all will be sitting in here. And I'll get doctor in here to see you." Toni said.

I sat in the main chair, and put my rings and necklace back on.

"Hello. I'm Doctor Richards, I'll be performing your surgery. I want to go over the basics on this. You will be banded shut for six weeks. You'll come back to see me after about a week of recovery.

So, another thing I wanted to talk about is your upper jaw as well. Can you see how her left side of her face is slanted down a bit. Kind of uneven? We're just going to bring that side up, and we noticed a sinus cavity that needs to be fixed as well. That'll happen before the surgery.

I'll give you a list of hygienic instructions when you leave the hospital. And I'll send Toni and Lexi back in to do the molds for your splint."

And a few minutes later, Toni and another girl I haven't seen before came in.

"Okay. I'm going to sit you up for this."

Then the goopy mouth chamber from hell was put on my upper teeth.

"Try and breathe through your nose on the top ones okay?"

But I got off of a plane yesterday. I can't breathe out of my nose. So I try and breathe out of my mouth, but I start gagging.

My eyes are watering, and I lean foreword, which helps a lot. I was drooling all over my lap.

"Are you okay baby?" Alex asked, reaching and grabbing my leg.