chapter ten

The months have gone and passed.

"Baby. I will do anything in my power to keep you." Lisa told me as I was getting ready.

Today is the final court date.

"I have a feeling, that this will go exactly the way we want it to." I replied, sliding my flats on.

I have been in Alex and Lisa's care for eight months, adoption papers were filed two months ago when the first court date took place.

I had on a black skirt and an olive green long sleeve shirt with tights on underneath my skirt.

Alex and Lisa in their best clothes.

"Hey. The guys will meet us at the court house. We need to head out now." Alex said, sticking his head into my room.

"Okay." Lisa and I replied, walking downstairs and out to the car.

Through the duration of the car ride, it was a lot of nervous sighs. And me popping my fingers.

When we got to the court house, news crews were outside.

We walked in, where we found Sam and the guys.

"You ready?" Sam asked.

"As I'll ever be." I replied.

"You're allowed to bring one person with you to the bench." Sam added.

"Alex." I replied almost immediately.

Sam nodded and patted my shoulder.

When we were called in, I could feel my fathers eyes burning into my body.

Alex and I walked hand-in-hand.

We sat by Sam at this table, me in between them.

"Court is in session." The judge said, slamming down his gavel, making me jump.

We sat there for hours, when the hard evidence came up.

"Mister Crowe. Is it true that you beat your child on a daily basis, blamed her and her deceased sister for their mother's death, and made her kneel on rice and grits for an ungodly amount of time for small things?" Sam asked.

"Yes. All true."

What?

"Mhm. And do you recognize this document?" Sam asked, holding up the paperwork for my sex exchange.

"Yes."

"And do you mind telling the jury what this paper is for?"

"I was going to sell Blake for ninety thousand dollars."

"Sell her for what?"

"Sex. To a man overseas."

Why was he confessing all of this?

Another hour passed. And I was in the stands.

'You can do it.' Zack mouthed to me.
I gave a small nod.

"Miss Crowe. First of all, how old are you?"

That's Sam talking again. Dad didn't have a lawyer.

"I turned fourteen two weeks ago." I replied.

"Okay. And how long has the abuse been going on?"

"Thirteen years."

That got the judges attention, along with the jury. And the guys. Mostly Rian, I hadn't told him my full story. He just knew that I was abused.