chapter forty-one

"Dad! I'm going to Dylan's! Don't expect for me to come back as a blonde!" I yelled.

"Sounds tight!" He yelled back.

I grabbed my supplies, my phone, the hair color that I bought, and my house keys.

I put on my crappiest shirt, which I've colored my hair in a lot.

I walked to Dylan's house, as he was waiting for me to come with the goods. Martina and Chiara has picked out the colors that they wanted. And for being Italians, they both take after Violet, as they have bright blonde hair.

When I got to their house, I opened the door, to hear music playing.

"Dyl? Who is this?" Martina asked.

"Ivy's dads band. They're called All Time Low." Dylan said.

"I'm here!" I called out.

The two girls came running at me.

"Are you two excited?" I asked.

They both nodded.

"Okay. I only have one bowl and brush, so I'll only be able to do one at a time. So who wants their blonde hair for a little bit longer?" I asked.

"I do. I wanna say goodbye to it." Chiara said. She's a little more timid than Martina.

"Okay. Mom set up a place in the kitchen where we can do it." Dylan said.

I walked in, and there was a spot in the middle of the floor that had trash bags and a single chair sitting on top of them.

"Hey Dylan. I need a plastic grocery bag." I said.

"Like, Walmart bag?" He asked.

"Yeah." I replied.

"Did you wash your hair last night like I told you to do?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am." Martina said, as she sat in the chair.

Well. Barstool. Same thing. You sit in it. It qualifies as a chair.

I put my cape on her, that way the hair color wouldn't get everywhere.

"You're doing the bright red, right?" I asked, she nodded.

I put two tubes of the eight I bought into the bowl and mixed it around.

"It smells like Dylan." Martina said.

"It does. It smells like boys." I said.

Four sections, bottom two first, then the top two.

While I painted on the color, Dylan was our DJ while he did some stuff on his laptop.

"I want Ed Sheeran!" Martina and I yelled.

Dylan groaned and put on one of my favorites.

"I thought you hated Ed Sheeran." Dylan said.

"No, I just have a secret love for certain songs of his." I said.

"I caught you singing this the other day." Dylan said and Perfect played.

I tried to sing along. But everything came out pretty slurred as I had a plastic splint in my mouth.

Once I got to the third section, we had gone through so many genres of music.

"Requests?"

"Not With Haste. By Mumford and Sons." I said.

When it got to be Chiara's turn, she was super excited.

"Are you ready to be purple?" I asked.

We played music, sang. Until it was time for her to sit still for forty minutes while I washed Martina's hair. Then I could get started on my own hair.

I blow dried Martina's hair.

"Do you like it?" I asked.

"It looks so cool!" She yelled.

"I'm glad you like it. After I finish up with your sister and get started on mine I'll teach you how to take care of it. I got some stuff for the two of you." I said, and started splitting my hair down the middle.

Once I finished the purple half of my hair, I washed Chiara's hair out.

"I'm only using warm water right now but that's just to get it off of your scalp. Then the shampoo will get the leftover out of your hair." I said as she leaned her head into the sink.

Then I blow dried hers, rinsed the purple side of my head, blow dried that, then started the red part.

"Okay. When I do mine, I normally wash it like once a week. I don't use conditioner, but I use a little bit of leave in. Only in the ends. So I got you both a bottle of your own. And since you only need to wash it once a week. I got you both some dry shampoo. Wash in cool water. So if you have to, lean over the tub and wash your hair like that. And finally, black pillow cases. It'll save your life, and your pillows." I said.

"Thanks Ivy!" The two said.

"No problem girls." I smiled.

When it came time to rinse the red side of my head, Violet came home.

"Momma! Look!" Chiara called out.

"That looks super cool. Where's your sister at?" Violet asked.

"I think she's in our room."

I blow dried my hair, and Dylan helped me clean up.

"You could have easily said no." Dylan said.

"I like having colored hair. Life is too short not to have really exciting hair." I said.

"It looks really pretty though." He said.

Dylan and I then went to his room, door open as requested by his mom.

"I had so much fun." I mumbled.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. It's like I. It's like I had a sister again." I said.

Last year, Alex and Lisa put up a memorial for Dessy. By moms headstone.

"I wish you could have met them, Dylan. My momma. My sister. My brother. All of them. They would have loved you." I shakily said.

He wrapped an arm around me.

"I would have loved to meet them too. You got your looks from your momma." Dylan said.

"You saying you would've had a crush on my mom?" I chuckled.

"No. I'm just saying. " Dylan smiled.

Then, later in the day. I got a photo of the girls and I.

"Dads coming to pick me up later." I said.

"Okay. Wanna watch a movie downstairs?" Dylan asked.

I nodded and we walked to the basement.

"Pick something. I don't care what." I yawned.