chapter twenty one

Later on in the night, Lisa went out with a couple friends.

So it was just Alex and I.

We sat at opposite ends of the couch, which was totally not normal for us.

Normally, Lisa would be on one side of him and I'd be on the other.

He called us his girls.

He's even posted about it.

My favorite was when Lisa and I both got sick at the same time, we fell asleep in Alex and Lisa's bed.

'My girls are sick, but that won't stop me from spending time with them! (Please also remind me that this is why I might get sick in the near future)'

Okay, maybe being sick was my least favorite part.

Thinking about that, made me slowly move towards Alex. And when I got close enough, he smiled and put his arm around me.

We were watching the ten o'clock news.

"It has been reported, that John Crowe, convicted of child abuse and sex trafficking, has killed himself in his prison cell just last night."

Oh my god.

"Holy shit." Alex and I said at the same time.

I couldn't help but cry. Even though he abused me, he was still my father. He was the only living relative I had, with the exception of cousins and stuff. But they don't really care about me.

"Everything okay? What's wrong?" Lisa said, coming through the door.

Alex rewinded the news story for her to watch.

"Oh my god. Honey, are you okay?" Lisa asked me.

I had stopped crying at this point, small sniffles here and there.

"Honestly, with the initial shock that all of my biological family is dead, I'm fine." I replied.

The two of them seemed a little apprehensive of my answer.

"Come on, the guy abused me most of my life. He sort of sold me to some guy overseas for sex, which said guy could have just killed me and dumped my body in an alleyway. He told me that my sister drowning was my fault. How my mom died was my fault, and how my brother died was my fault. Everything with him was my fault." I replied.

Now I was angry.

"I didn't know you had a brother." Lisa said.

"I did. Coolest guy on earth. I have a picture of him, if you want to see." I said.

"If you want us to." Alex replied.

"He'd want to meet the people who saved me." I replied and ran to my room.

I had taken photos from the old house before I ran away.

Now, they're all in a shoe box.

I brought the whole box down, and sat on the couch with Lisa and Alex.

I showed them various pictures, before I got to my favorite one of my brother and I.

I was about ten, he was about fifteen. We were out in front of a school. He had driven me, dad never would. Part of the reason why I haven't been enrolled.

I had kissed his cheek, and he just smiled at the camera. I remember some mom had taken the photo for us.

"What was his name?" Lisa asked.

"Matt. Look, here's Matt and I at my very first concert. Falling In Reverse. I was about seven." I chuckled, still fond of the memory.

Flashback