The Changes

Samuel's POV

Blood. Dark red. Heavy.

I smelled its bitter sweet aroma, my nostrils flared, taking it all in. I swirled the thick liquid in the glass. It merged and faded into shapes across the rim of the glass, just to drip like soulful tears. I drank all of it in one gulp, relishing its unique flavor. My tongue rubbed against the lingering taste. "Mmmm...." I murmured.Her blood. Delivered to me at the beginning of every month. Paid and bought for. It had been five months since she'd left. Then I threw the empty glass across the room in an uncontrollable anger. My addiction to her blood... I hated it." Alessandro", I shouted. "Bring me some more."

I heard the footsteps. Slow, deliberately heavy footsteps. Alessandro was taking his sweet time. I wanted to punish him for his insolence. He was having fun. The whole world was. "Damn it," I cursed. I wanted to spill my best friend's gut. What was happening to me? I heard the sound of a mosquito whizzing in front of my nose. The constant flap of its small wings made my temples hurt. "Don't mess with me!" I snapped when it continued hovering above me. I crushed it beneath my fingers. I was not sharing her blood. Not even a sip of it.

I squeezed my fists. I breathed in and out. I concentrated on the swelling of my abdomen with each intake of oxygen. Rage. That's all I felt. All the damn time. Where was he? Where was my cure? I finally heard the door move. It was slow. It was agonizingly slow. The door creaked. I was so impatient. It felt like ages as I finally saw Alessandro's familiar stature. My eyes moved automatically to what he was carrying in his large hands. I couldn't help the grin as my eyes riveted on it, couldn't help the sweating of my hands in anticipation. The lust of the blood was killing me. I smoothed out my features. Wanted to avoid being obvious. I failed. Noticed the silent laughter on Alessandro's face. Didn't care. All I wanted was to taste the blood. Her blood. A gnawing hunger controlled me. I didn't notice my legs move, not until I found myself harshly snatching the glass in his hand.

"Slow down, vamp boy," Alessandro said. "It is all yours." The humor on his face was long gone. He wrinkled his forehead in consternation. Worry replaced the remaining traces of humor. He was honest enough to voice his uncertainty. "I don't know what's wrong with you Samuel."

Neither did I. The changes were happening swiftly.

"How is the blood supply?" I asked casually. I sipped the first drop, trying to prove I was indifferent. Tried to make a point. I looked at him. Did he know how close I was to snapping? I turned my back to hide the rage.

"We have enough to last you for a few days," he said.

"Why is she behind in delivery?" It was all her fault. Diana. The blind human whose blood was the only reason I kept my sanity.

I was once taken by the Ferox and made one of them. The blood-sucking vampires. The hated creatures in the vamp community. Monsters. I'd been one. Learned to live on human blood. Learned to fight my own kin. My memories had been wiped clean with each intake of human blood. I'd been stripped of my identity. Lost myself. Didn't remember I was the Vampire King. I was presumed dead by my men. I was forgotten. All until I was brought back by Oriana, my sister. It was her lover, Riley who had found and brought Diana to me. She had miraculously reversed my Feroxification. She had been my cure. Why? I didn't know. All I knew was that I'd been the only one in the Vamp community who had returned from that dark place. The only one who still remembered who I was, who I'd once been.

"She is not," Alessandro said sternly.

"Don't speak in riddles!" My voice was harsh. I took another sip. I relaxed a bit as her blood circulated in my body. The warmth. The shivers. The euphoria. I sat down, crossed my legs. I felt better.

"You are now through with the monthly supplies in half the time."

Was he serious?

"Yeah?" I said casually. Retained a feigned composure. I was becoming an expert at it. In reality, my heart beat fast. My mind rebelled against his words.

I had begun drinking a lot. It was never enough. Not even close.

"Listen, why don't we bring her back in?" Alessandro said. He tapped his left foot rhythmically. Nervousness oozed from his body. He'd never been afraid of me in his life. He wasn't now. But, he was confused. He didn't know who I was anymore. It was better that way. The things that were constantly going in my head.... I wish I could be kept in the dark myself.

Violence. Tearing flesh. Gushing blood. Screams. And, then silence. Were those previous memories? Or was I going nuts?

"No," I shouted.

"Samuel..."

"I said, no." I had barely found the courage to send her away. I didn't want her. I wanted her blood. That was it. She muddled my brain when she was around. Her constant pestering was enough to sour my mood.

"Do you want another drink?" Alessandro asked.

Of course, I did. But, I shook my head. "I'm fine."

He shrugged.

"Who is watching over her?" I asked. I had a guard around her house 24 hours a day. She didn't even know it. I was merely watching over my investment. Her safety meant I could get a constant supply of blood.

"I'll find out. Might be Cian."

"No, not him!" My fangs appeared, sharpened. "Not him. No good enough." I didn't explain further. Since learning of his little brother Ruan's alliance with the Ferox, Cian had changed. Ruan's betrayal and desertion now made him weak. He was careless. He was no longer competent to serve as a guard. He would shirk. He would glimpse away. It would only take one minute. But, it would be enough. And, then they would have her. They would tear her translucent flesh, sink their fangs into her vein, make her body tremble in terror. They would hurt her. The way I had hurt others. Her color would fade away. Her rosy lips would tremble in fear. Her blood would be drained. The life in her eyes would slowly leave. Her legs would get wobbly, she would stagger on her feet, but she would fight. Oh, yes that little woman would fight. She would scream. She would curse. She would struggle to her last breath, beat her small fists on their shoulders. But, she wouldn't be able to beat destiny. She would fall. I could see it all...a brief look of surprise flashing between her eyes on her last breath....her shoulders shivering from the cold brush of death...her hands rising one last time to stop her attackers just to drop limply in her lap...those beautiful eyes finally closing. And, she would be gone. Just like that.

"No", I shouted. I smashed the glass in my fist, not feeling the pain. I felt her blood flow and mesh with the blood from my cut fingers. I looked at the shards falling on the floor.

"Damn!" I had wasted her blood. I had let my anger take over.

Alessandro gazed at me in shock.

"What are you really afraid of? The Ferox is gone, wiped out from the face of Earth!" he said.

Yes. True. The Ferox was gone. Then why was I scared for her?

Because she was important.

She was my blood supply.

Yeah, maybe.

But, maybe it was something else. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed that. It's been awhile and I hope you are still with me. Let me know.

Alena