The Ritual

This is the second update today

 (Diana's POV)

I was having difficulty making progress. All the vampires in the Mansion were possessed. Every time I saw a cloud of blackness coming towards me, I had to find a place to hide. Once I found myself hiding in the kitchen pantry the very one where Sam and I had hidden together. Then I heard voices.

"C'mon there's a pantry here."

"Well, hurry up, where is it? They are coming."

Shit, who was coming? My heart beat so fast I couldn't even form a plan.

And the door opened without me being able to get out. I couldn't even scream. It happened so fast.

"Oh good, you are here, too." Riley. I couldn't utter a word of amazement as the shadows were in the kitchen. And, then truly I couldn't breathe. Nora, Riley and I were squeezed into this narrow space and my nose was buried in Riley's back, I could swear it was changing shape.

"Move a bit," I whispered, trying to wiggle to ease my hip pain. My whole right leg had gone numb.

"Where dear Diana do you want me to move?" he whispered back.

"Ssh" Nora hushed us.

"Where is this woman? Look everywhere. Ruan needs to drink her blood right after the ritual."

They were here.

That brought me to my senses. They were looking for me. There was no surprise in that. But they surely needed Sam for the ritual. But he wasn't here, was he? Had I been too late? On that note, why wasn't he with Riley and Nora? Where exactly was he?

Chairs toppled in the kitchen, the sounds resembled the one in a war zone. Things were probably flying in the air. Were they dismantling the whole kitchen? Something hit the pantry door with such a loud noise that Nora pulled back reflexively. Riley fell back on me like a domino tile. And, then I truly knew what it meant to be crushed. I would not heal from this. "I need space," I whispered. "Please." And then the walls of the pantry moved outward in such a subtle move, and then they expanded to the back. Inch by inch. I could now move my legs and arms, and my now crooked nose could inhale oxygen freely. Had the pantry just doubled in size?

"All this time, you had space," Riley admonished.

I couldn't believe it had come to this, fight over who had more space. I didn't say anything. Nobody had noticed what had just happened.

When the battle seemed to have ended, meaning, they had broken everything, there was silence.

"The pantry," one of them said.

"Shit," I heard Riley mutter.

"Where is it?" another asked.

"I don't know. It was supposed to be here."

They couldn't see it. Was that Riley's deception? Had it started working?

Footsteps echoed on the kitchen tiles and then tapered off. They had left. I was in no hurry to open the pantry door now that I had some space.

"Whew," he said.

"Was that you?" I asked.

"No, but whatever it was, I'm thankful."

I saw the medallion was shining. Could it be? Naw, I dismissed the thought.

"Where's Sam?" I asked.

"Your stupid mate is busy being possessed," Riley said. "We were, in fact, looking for you. The only way to help him is to end this once and for all. Even if I can manage to deceive Ruan, I can't control the shadows."