Betrayal

Samuel's POV

I kicked the chair across the room. It didn't make me feel better. I was struggling with a gnawing hunger. "Alessandro, where's my damn blood?"

"The damn blood is in her room," he said. "In her body where it belongs."

Was he kidding me? "No. I mean you'd said there was some left. I can't find it in the refrigerator." I opened it again, my eyes gazing through the shelves of food. It was not there. I grabbed the empty jar of blood my eyes spotted hopefully in vain and threw that against the wall. I took the orange juice out and drank it all without bothering to breathe. The juice settled in the space in my belly. Yes, fullness, I felt. But there was no satisfaction. The hunger, if possible, was worse.

Alessandro appraised me a with keen interest. "There's none left Samuel. You can get it straight from her vein."

Something was different about Alessandro. I stared at his bloodshot eyes. Had he been drinking last night? What was happening with him? Leaving Di like that? It was unheard of. If it had been anybody else, I would have exiled him. Which is why I was still reeling from the shock of it.

Not to mention, his impudence today knew no limits. Or, the problem was my growing intolerance. I couldn't say which.

The idea of taking blood fresh from Diana's vein.... It appealed to me so much that I held myself back with a barely controlled appetite. I would inhale her fragrance which would permeate my nostrils like a delicious appetizer as I seized and pulled her neck towards my lips. And, then my fangs would graze her skin right where the vein throbbed, my lips would tremble, my blood would boil just with the excitement of the impending taste. And then it would happen. My fangs would sink deep, her blood flowing to me like a bursting dam, where it belonged. I couldn't wait. She would be unhappy. The stubborn woman would probably make me regret it. But, it was a small price to be paid for my protection.

"Where is my checkbook?" I said, smiling. I was going to be generous with my payment this month. More generous than she could ever imagine. She would be grateful. She would see I was not exploiting her. Thank you, Samuel! she would murmur with a pinch of embarrassment and gratitude. No, correction. She would call me, Sam. I grinned. I was okay with that. If she wanted to call me that, I was not going to stop her. No problem, I would answer back. I'm glad you saw the real me. She would touch my hand sincerely. I did, I truly did Sam, she would reply.

Her stay in here was profitable to us both. A win-win situation. There was no way she would not understand that. The woman was not stupid. Annoying, but not stupid. I was fair, just and caring as the Vampire King. I always took care of those under my roof and protection. I smiled again, I was sure she knew that.

My checkbook.... Where was it? In my room, right! I didn't wait for an answer as I left in a hurry. Now that I'd decided, I couldn't wait to do it.

I heard sounds from the common room as I was about to take the stairs. And, it was not the standard giddy chatting, laughter which rose above the soft music playing in the background. Something was strange. I couldn't pinpoint it. I walked towards the room and stopped, my hand on the doorknob. I opened it slowly. The room was a place where vampires could come together and socialize. It was designed as an entertainment room with all the amenities and comforts for a social gathering. Freshly brewed coffee, baked delicacies--cookies, cupcakes, desserts--were lined up on the table. It was always cozy inside with several sofas and recliners gathered around two large fireplaces. The huge windows overlooked the garden and reflected the bright sunrays on the blood red decorations hanging on the walls. My eyes latched on the insiders. I recognized each one of them, they were the cherished mates of my vampires. Among them stood someone that pulled all my attention like a funneling vortex. Diana. Before I could try to understand what was happening, her words traveled to my ears. I wish they hadn't. I saw red.

"As I said, you need to do something about this. Who can be okay with a monarchy? Right? Right?"

"What are you suggesting?" asked Malahki. She was a beautiful brunette who had mated one of my warriors last year.

I was almost afraid to hear the rest of the conversation.

"I'm glad you asked," said Diana. "He needs to do the right thing, abolish the throne, and establish a democracy. I could help you with all that. I feel like I'd be really useful as a mentor. We, humans, have been living in a democracy for a long time, now."

I simply could not believe what I was hearing.

"I like our Vampire King. He is strong," said a small vampire boy around nine years old. He was Darius' little boy. Cute. Brave. And he was intelligent, it seemed. More intelligent than one blind woman.

"Nonsense," laughed Malahki. "He is the strongest one among all the vampires. The one with the purest ancient blood. We don't need a democracy. We need him."

"I agree," said Bronwen, the mate of a vampire in my elite squad. "Are you kidding me? I cried when I thought he'd died. Leaving the ruling to a bunch of idiots without the strongest mind and body to make decisions? No, thank you."

I was happy to hear that my vampires were not easily persuaded by the treachours woman. Yet, that gave me little comfort. I was boiling with rage.

My hand still on the doorknob, I was afraid to move, make a sound.

"I understand you are afraid. Fear is normal. This tyranny is not." Diana didn't seem to know when to stop.

I was going to take her blood. And not pay. And then she would see the tyranny.

"Diana!" I yelled, unable to hold myself any longer. The vampires in the room respectfully lowered their eyes as they left the room.

"What are you doing?"

"Uhm...nothing," she murmured. "Absolutely nothing."

"Do you know the punishment for treason?"

She was clever enough not to utter a word. But looking at the way she fidgeted with her hands, I could see that my words had made her uncomfortable. Good!

"You've betrayed my hospitality." I walked towards her like a predator, trapping her body beneath the wall.

"Let's talk about this," she stammered. "I was sad. My cane is gone. I may not have been thinking rationally. I was just trying to help."

"Screw your cane," I shouted.

I couldn't help it. The anger in me was strong. Her betrayal had put salt and pepper to it. I grabbed her just as I'd imagined. And, my teeth sank in. 

Hope you enjoyed that. 

I will be updating the second book in my Drakon series, Blinded by the Dark, tomorrow, if you are interested:)

Alena