Escape

Samuel hissed. His fangs appeared, like sharpened cones, flashes of whites, scarlets, reds, blacks danced around the edges, erasing the clear lines. Confidence. Arrogance. Strength. Power. He was getting ready to fight. Ready to kill. I could feel his whole body reverberating with energy.

"Ssh, you are going to draw them here," I said. We needed to be silent. Act invisible.

"There is a presence in front of my door, woman and you want me to be silent?" he said. The veins bulged in his throat. He didn't know how to be silent, though he did whisper, it came out as croaked, pitiful.

Great, we would be possessed because of his ego. He didn't even know what they could do, how much their touch stung, what it meant to be possessed by one. This wasn't a fight we could win.

"They are dark shadows!" I whispered, the words burned and strained my throat as I tried not to shout. His anger was spreading to me. "They will go away if they don't sense our presence. I've done this before."

"Shadows?" For the first time, I felt he was listening. But, his color soon changed to a dark golden yellow. Translation? Offended. "I'm not running away, Diana. I'm the King."

Of course, he was. But, that didn't make him invincible. This was an enemy we knew nothing about. The door was now pitch black, the shadows were swarming around us. So much, for making ourselves invisible. I hadn't had the time to shred our colors, hide us. Not while appeasing his mountain size ego.

Before I could stop him, he lifted me up and dumped me under the bed. "Stay there," he ordered. "Sam!" I warned him. But, when I heard the door slam, I knew he'd already gone out. Damn, as a vampire, the speed with which he moved was too fast. The stupid arrogant vampire would get himself possessed. And, then where would I be? Thirsting for the blood of a possessed creature. I rolled from underneath the bed with the grace of a clumsy child. I took a few courageous steps towards the one thing which scared the crap out of me. The door. It looked like a black hole, ready to suck me up in its midst. But even seconds mattered, what was happening to Samuel? I didn't have the time to contemplate. I just had to get to him. I had to sprint forward, that was the only way, I could do this. One Two Three...I counted and took off. It didn't go exactly as I planned. The doorknob slid from my fingers, my hands slick with sweat. The sprinting hadn't taken me out of the room. I tried again with the knob, my heart drummed in my chest...duh-duhn, duh-duhn. An army of chills marched down my spine. The door handle turned.

What I saw outside was my worst nightmare come true. Samuel was clawing at the dark shadows taking a nip at him. In vain, his fangs tried to anchor an elusive shadow. He didn't see them. His body was bloodied. There were at least twenty dark shadows trying to enter his body. He was resisting. His warrior colors were fighting their blackness. Kicks, punches, fangs, claws in the air, blood pouring from his gashes.... To anyone, it would look as if he was a madman hurting his own self.

I knew what needed to be done. I didn't look forward to it. I'd have to be ready for the pain. Once I acted, I'd be replacing him as their new target, offering my body for his. Then, I'd have to push beneath the pain and concentrate enough to make us invisible. Just like I'd done before. It was a plan.

It was like jumping over the high bridge knowing full well a deep icy water would be swallowing me up. I almost didn't do it. Almost. But, the one word which spilled beneath his lips, sealed my fate. "Run!" He'd seen me beneath the haze of blood and fighting. The stupid vampire was still trying to save me.

I did take his bad advice. But, I ran towards him. Wrapped my hands around him. Knocked him down with the force of my weight. He was not expecting it. He was still trying to swat at the shadows, while he was trying to roll me on my back so he could wrap himself around me like a blanket of muscle. That, I couldn't allow. I couldn't peel his colors, not until he stopped moving. And he would not stop moving until the shadows were gone. The sacrifices I had to make loomed ahead of me.

I took a deep breath. Here we go! I leaned towards him and latched at his lips, more like attacked them. In the middle of all that craziness going on. In the middle of being bitten by the damn shadows. I felt the confusion in Samuel. He tried pushing me as if he was wondering whether I'd gone mad. I wrapped the colors of calmness around him. "Trust me," I whispered. He stilled like a newly fed baby, led by the moment. He no longer saw the shadows.

Ouch! They were now taking small bites from me. I had to focus. I had to act. I tried to clear the colors around us. It was like shoveling heaps of snow. Dig, throw away and move deeper. Dig again. Samuel had stilled. His shallow breathing accompanied each shedding of color from our bodies. I no longer felt the pain. The nibbling. There was only me. Only him. As I bared our souls, digging deep into our unique and pure core, I knew we were becoming invisible to these dark creatures. Why I didn't know. It was possible, emotions were like layers and layers of clothing on our souls, hiding our true essence. Unmasked, unshielded, our essence was pure, clean, untouched. And, the darkness couldn't detect what it didn't have.

I lay like that, my body above Samuel's, my violet embracing his. No emotional shackles, no obstacles. Our essences merged with the innocence of two kids, harmonious, in perfect silence. There was no need for words. No need for explanations. No need for apologies. I felt complete. The joy was indescribable. And, it was for that reason, I lingered.

By the time, I decided it was time to get back to reality, I knew I'd erred.

"What the hell?" Samuel said, awakening from the dreamlike state.

Shit. It was dark. How many hours had passed? Fused with his energy, I'd lost count of the time.

Samuel pushed me off him. "Where are they? What happened?" He scowled, his eyes searching for the shadows. I couldn't blame him. "What did you do?" he barked.

Without waiting for an explanation, he grabbed my hand and dragged me in hurried strides. When we turned the corner, we heard muffled chatter. I gasped. Three vampires. Three black vampires. Three possessed vampires.

"Petsha. Amoury. Veronique. I need to warn them."

I pulled him back. "They have turned," I whispered.

"Turned?"

"The black shadows are inside them."

"No." Denial. Then resignation. Are you sure?" he asked puzzled. It irked him that he couldn't tell.

Colors of guilt, regret danced around him.

I had woken us too late.

He nodded. "I have to find others." Just then more vampires joined the trio, all gathering slowly as if they were ants and their queen had made the calling. When the hall filled with vampires, and even kids, a hush warned us that now we would know who was pulling the strings. The Queen of Ants was about to make a speech. But, the one who held an aura of authority was not a female vampire.

It was Alessandro.

I felt Samuel flinch in anger.

"Find them. We need her blood. We need his body."

Those words were final. And a wake up call for us.

"C'mon we are getting outta here," Samuel said. He had just lost his throne. 

I hope you are enjoying the story. Tomorrow and the next day, I will be updating Blinded by the Dark. So, I'll see you next Monday.

Alena