The Soulless

"Why are you shivering, what's wrong with you?" Samuel asked even as he held me tightly in his embrace. The colors around him were darkening to a virescent shade as the previous hues of reds tumbled and scattered as if in the vicinity of invisible winds. Worry? I cuddled closer to him, the darkness around Alessandro was scaring me. How ironic!

"Nothing," I said. What was there to say? Your second in command is dark? I didn't even know what that meant.

"Need help?" a female vampire said. Her voice was harsh. She was holding something flat and long in her hand. Maybe a tray? Samuel had said they were bringing me some food. But, it was hard to decipher the edges of the object, the black was washing everything in absolute nothingness. When the others joined Alessandro one by one, blocking the exit, I had a hard time breathing. The darkness was suffocating me. This was not just a color, it was a void pulling you to its center like a vortex. The air felt chilly, frigid. The temperature had dropped a few degrees. Samuel seemed unfazed. Was it just me? I staggered on my feet, to be straightened by the firm hold of Samuel.

"Leave," Samuel ordered. The greens over his head and body turned into a darker shade, spots of greys catapulted in the air to be sucked in and drowned in their midst. He was getting irritated, but the worry was still the main emotion. Based on the emerging colors of grey, I thought his order was meant for me. I braced myself for the challenge. Took a step forward, I could do this, walk past them. They couldn't hurt me, not in front of Samuel. But, a hand grabbed me by the elbow. I recognized its owner. The foot I'd lifted stayed up in the air, unable to land.

"Not, you, Di," Samuel said. The greys exploded in the air like fireworks. I didn't care if they exploded in his head. Ass! I was the aggrieved one here. The only one who could see these creatures. The only who couldn't breathe because of them. The one chilled to her bones because of them.

When I saw the blackness ebb away, the warmth seep back into my body, I knew the order was intended for the vampires. Soon, the dark shadows were replaced by a myriad of colors: the pink of the room was back, there was an infusion of green tinted with lighter greys, compliments of Samuel, onto which a sickly brownish yellow was added, a color resembling the dirty water in a gutter. I assumed that was thanks to me. I couldn't help it, I was scared.

Though I'd been blind all my life, I felt like I was slowly given access to a wisdom that didn't belong to me. I didn't know how, but now I knew the difference between the dark blues of the midwinter night versus the transparent blues of the lagoon, the deepest green of the midsummer leaves versus the brighter dewy greens of the grass after the rain washed it anew. I knew about the sulfur yellows, autumn oranges, maroon reds, emerald greens, scarlets, and golds. I knew all this even if I'd never seen them before. And, just like that, I knew that the pitch black I had just seen was that of a starless night, of a world long deserted by the moon and the sun. It was death. Despair. It was hopelessness. It was soullessness. It was frigid cold. It was all that and more. And, I wanted to be as far away from it as possible.

"C'mon, Diana. Back to your room." A slap on my butt urged me forward. What? How dared he? "This room belongs to a newly mated couple and you're trespassing."

Sarcasm. How nice! He had no compassion in his bones. Hoping there was no dark vampire lurking in the corners, I left the room. Hurried strides took me to my room. Had they defiled it? I saw the familiarity of the colors that belonged to me. They had not entered inside. There was no evidence of a lingering blackness.

Wrong. It took me only a few seconds to change my opinion. There was something. I could feel it. It was breathing. Waiting. Rejoicing. The vibes were strong on the floor. I knelt down. Started crawling. I would get the vile creature out. Was it a vampire? Or maybe a bug? I was losing my mind.