What could go wrong

(Samuel's POV)

"Nora wake up. We are getting in," I said.

Nora was up in a second. "It's time?" she said. Though she still felt exhausted, she would fight today, for her friends. For the future of the Vampire kind.

"It's time. We can't wait for Riley. They have Diana."

"Oh man, how you wound me," Riley said as he appeared just like that as if he knew. "For once, you should learn to trust me."

I didn't know how he'd made it just on time. But for this once I'd take his help and be glad for it. "How's Oriana?"

"She's good considering."

"Considering?" I insisted.

"She's jealous. Can you imagine, and of Riana? Of course, she sees her own self in her and because my Ori is perfect my Riana is, too. Anyway, it is my problem."

"Your Riana?" I gritted my teeth. No, I couldn't imagine. What was there between Riley and this Riana? I would strangle her and him together if they hurt my sister.

"And, no before you ask let me tell you no! She's not my lover. Geez!" Riley interrupted my thoughts.

Though I wanted to pry further, this wasn't the time. "Make sure it stays that way."

"What happened? Where is your mate?" Riley probed, looking around.

"She's taken." Worry sat on my shoulders like the devil itself, sharpening its torture tools. How had I allowed this, they'd been tempting her before asking her to let them in. I thought I would feel it, stop her, just like I'd done before. I hadn't calculated the possibility of being enthralled. Nobody had that power over the Vampire King. Nobody but Lucifer it seemed. If they possessed her, it'd be all over. Nothing would matter. She was the only one who had the power to expel the dark shadows from the host, I wouldn't be able to save her.

"It's a trap, you know that right?" Riley said.

"So? I don't have a choice."

"What's the plan? The way I see it, we kinda need Diana to do anything, am I wrong?"

"I'll surrender."

"What kind of a stupid plan is that?" Riley said. "Ori-bun won't like it, worse, she won't like me for allowing this."

"She won't know," I said, exasperated. "That's the only way they'll let me see Diana, once they do, she will start the process of freeing the hosts and the three of us will kill the solid shadows. That's the plan."

"And, what if they possess you before she can do anything? What if you don't see her?"

"Well, you'll think of something to distract them. And I'll get away. Aren't you a dark angel?" I said sarcastically. I was well aware of the risks, but saving her among a horde of dark shadows wasn't an option. We wouldn't stand a chance.

She was the key to everything. And I needed to see her. Make sure she was okay. Period.

"Great, just great!" Riley said.

"Stay back," I warned them as I walked to the Mansion. "Stay hidden."

"Are you sure?" Nora asked.

I'd never been so sure.

I took each stride with resolve. Each was taking me to her, shrinking the physical distance between us. It was as if the connection between us was getting stronger. Relief washed over me, she wasn't possessed, I could feel the pull of her violet, luring me, tempting me.

It didn't take them long to spot my presence, not that I was hiding. Soon I was surrounded. Though their features were known to me the look in their eyes reminded me they were just strangers.

"Alessandro," I greeted him.

"I'm not him."

No pretense anymore.

"I know that," I snapped. I didn't need reminding.

"This is a nice surprise. We were surely expecting you, but not this fast." He didn't bother restraining me. I'd come out of my own volition. He looked around to see whether I was alone. Thankfully, Riley and Nora were hidden from plain sight. Satisfied, Alessandro led the way. "He'll be happy."

"He? Lucifer?" I asked, surprised. Riley had said he'd been sleeping. What kind of sleep had he put him?

"No, not Lucifer," was all he said. And, then I saw him. Once a young, admirable boy, he was now nothing but a bad memory. Ruan. I felt as responsible as Cian of turning him to the dark side. If I hadn't lost my own way, he would still be under my guidance. But, I had. I had been as lost as Cian once. Until Riley had brought Diana to me.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Riley? Hmm...maybe just maybe.

Ruan had dyed his hair pitch black as black as the color of the soulless creatures. He was dressed in black leather pants and a shirt. It was all quite funny in fact. Beyond the gothic look, he still had the traces of boyhood. His muscles were still forming, his body growing just beyond adolescence. How old was he now? 15? With the confidence he had, it seemed he was outreaching. He was acting as if he was beyond his years and the body would soon catch up. Didn't he know I could snap his neck within seconds? Uhm..maybe not with the dark shadows hovering around him.

Looking at Ruan, suddenly it all clicked.

"It was you who had me tied up. It was you who let them in on the last day of the loop."

"What?"

Of course, he didn't know what I was talking about. It had never happened. I had ignored the God's warnings that he was behind all this.

How was this skinny kid ruling all these shadows? What gift had Lucifer bestowed on him?

"Never mind, where is Diana?" I said.

"You'll see her. Take him inside, prepare the ritual. Bring her, too. I'll need her blood once I have his body."

"My body?"

"Oh, did I forget to tell you? Your body belongs to me. I will be the King like I was always meant to be. A King with his own loyal vampires."

Yeah right, dream on. Where was Riley? I hoped he was around. Things were fast spiraling out of control. "The hosts are not permanent. You will kill them," I said. I remembered that information very well. Dark shadows fed on the blood of their hosts and the bodies would die within months.

"Your blood will keep them alive. Believe me, I know, Lucifer told me so."

"In his sleep?" Who was kidding me? Him or Riley? Or Lucifer? There was surely a joke somewhere.

"Before that. He had set everything into motion once the Ferox was destroyed."

Now the dragging had started. Alessandro pushed me forward. Time for talking was over. I didn't struggle, the need to see Diana was intense. The ritual part had me a tidbit worried, but he couldn't really possess my body, could he? He was no dark shadow.

What could really go wrong?

As always thanks for reading

Alena Des