Chapter 17

By the time we got home from the park both me and Paisley were exhausted, it’s been a long long day. She was bathed, in her pyjamas and falling asleep until she heard the front door open and she automatically sprung to life and ran down the stairs with me following closely behind her. “So how was your day?” I ask Cheryl as she walks from the hallway into the living room with Paisley already glued to her hip.

“Exhausting!” She sighs dropping down onto the sofa with Paisley still wrapped around her neck.  I sit on the other end of the sofa and she brings her legs up to rest on mine and Paisley lays on her chest. With her free hand she runs her fingers through her hair letting her curls pour over the arm of the sofa. “I’m glad to be home with me two favourite girls”

“I’ll take her up soon then I was thinking we could have an early night?”

“Really?” She raises an eyebrow and winks making me laugh.

“You’re filthy! I mean we could put on a DVD and have a chat or something, you look knackered”

“Thanks!”

“I didn’t mean like that-“

“Its fine, you do too”

“I am, I’ve had to cope with Sarah and Nadine all day. They’re exhausting!”

She laughs and nods her head in agreement. “They are like, they are just as bad as each other”

Paisley has her face buried in the crook of Cheryl’s neck and she’s playing with the tips of her hair with her fingers. “It looks like someone missed you” I nod my head at my daughter and Cheryl nods.

“It does” She smiles looking down at her. “Are you tired?” She whispers rubbing her back. She receives a very tired nod from Paisley confirming what she already knew. “Will we go up to bed then?” She asks and to my surprise Paisley accepts her offer, no matter how hard I try or how tired she is she always puts up a fight to go to bed.

“I can take her if you want” I tell Cheryl holding out my arms to take her but she shakes her head.

“You lock up down here and I’ll come to bed in a minute” She stands up and Paisleys head immediately lays on her shoulder her eyes are barely able to stay open. I go over to her and kiss her head.

“Goodnight baby” I whisper and then I press my lips on Cheryl’s cheek.

“What’s that for?” She smiles her dimples on full display.

I shrug my shoulders and smile back. “Just because I lo… Like you” I feel myself blushing with embarrassment i want the ground to swallow me up. It’s been less than 2 days and I’ve already nearly dropped the L word.

“I like you too” She chuckles and goes up the stairs.

                                                                   ***
“Is she alright?” I ask Cheryl as she enters her bedroom after successfully getting Paisley to bed.

“She’s fast asleep”

“You have the magic touch”

“I do” She smiles. She picks up a t-shirt from the floor and takes off her jeans.

“I’ll look away”

“Don’t be daft!” She laughs and she proceeds to pulling her top over her head in full view of me sat on her bed. I’ve never really noticed until now how thin she actually is. Her bones poke through her olive coloured skin begging for attention. I feel myself staring so quickly look away hoping she hasn’t noticed.