Chapter 55

From behind a thick, black tinted window in the back of the car I watch Newcastle pass me by. Since the tour started this is the part I’ve been most excited about as was  Cheryl. Paisley too to be honest because she gets to see her beloved dogs that she’s never stopped whinging about. I watch the city flit passed. Its grey despite it still being early, the rains leaving shallow puddles on the litter cluttered ground. Going over the Tyne Bridge was an experience in itself, I’ve never seen Cheryl like this before. You can tell how much she loves her hometown. I turn my head to see my daughter sat next to me, she’s leant to the side in her car seat doing as I am and watching the world pass by through the small window. With her doll under one arm she’s quite content, she’s fairly easy to travel with.

“I used to go dancing here” Cheryl informs me pointing out the window to the old looking building.

“You did?”

“Aye, then I used to go here for a bag of chips on me way home” She laughs pointing to a fish and chip shop as we drive passed. We don’t have time to go straight to Cheryl’s mum’s house but we will be seeing her at the show, her along with the rest of the family. I’m anxious but I can’t wait to see Joan again. We’re going to spend a few days here because it’s the end of her tour and frankly we have nothing to rush home for. I have to say I am quite emotional about this tour coming to an end, this is the first tour I’ve been by her side and I’m hoping we have many more to do together. I’m certain that watching Cheryl perform for the last time will squeeze a few tears out of me.

Inside of the metro arena and out of the rain we’re sat already dressed and ready to go just waiting for her family to get here. With the rain that just keeps on getting heavier I believe they will be in traffic but they should be here soon. Its giving us a bit of time on our own before she leaves the dressing room ready to slay the stage for the last time. “It feels so good to be back” Cheryl smiles at me while running the tip of her finger over her bottom lip.

“You seem so much more relaxed now that we’re here” 

“I am, I can’t wait to go out there and see everyone. I kind of don’t want the tour to end”

“Same” I smile sadly. “I feel quite emosh actually”

“I do too! You better not cry or you’ll set me off”

“I’ll try my best not to then!”

“ I have a present for you” She says crouching down to Paisley and she looks up with excitant on her face. “Do you want it now or will I give it to you later when nana Joan gets here?”

“Now!” Is her response which is no surprise, she jumps up from the floor and follows Cheryl to her bag.

“Go and sit down and close your eyes” I watch with a smile on my face as she does just that and with her hands held out patiently Cheryl puts the wrapped up gift in her hands. “It’s nothing much, I don’t think you will even like it-“

“Chez, babe she appreciates everything you give her”

Wrapping paper in the air and falling to the ground she holds up her hands as she grips onto a tiny black and white Newcastle United shirt and she look at Cheryl to explain. “it’s a Newcastle shirt because we’re here in Newcastle” she laughs and takes it from her hands. “When I was little me and me brother always had one, we used to share it like but we loved it, look at this” She turns it around just like she had done with the last gift she surprised her with and shows her the writing.

“That’s so sweet!”

“I got Pai put on the back with a number-

“A number three” Paisley interrupts proudly holding up her fingers showing that she knows her numbers. Cheryl chuckles and folds it in half.