Chapter 70

Its dark, almost pitch black and its starting to rain. The only thing lighting the streets is the orange light flooding from the street lamps. It’s almost eleven and me and Sarah are here at Jason’s to get Paisley. I couldn’t sleep without her in the house, I couldn’t leave her here all night because I know what Jason’s like. He’s unpredictable and I can’t be positive that hes not going to do something that’s going to terrify Paisley. She’s probably scared enough, she’s never met his new girl and she’s never been here before. I’ve been beating myself up since she left this afternoon. The house we’re stood in front of is on the same council estate he grew up on, the house is tiny but maybe it feels like that because I’m now used to living in a castle-like home. The front gate is hanging off and It looks like the grass hasn’t been cut in a good few years.

“The lights are on, just knock” Sarah tells me. She pulls up her hood a–s the wind blows it down and she holds onto it as she bounces on the balls of her feet. Its freezing and we’re both in our pyjamas after I decided to stay the night. Amy is fine back at mine, she’s probably still in the room I left her in on her broken phone that I’ve promised I will replace as soon as I can.

I reach my hand out and a knock on the door with my fist. The knock rattles through the house. As we stand here on his door step we can hear them from inside. We hear the little boy i  know as Freddie babbling away at the top of his lungs, i hear the young woman I’ve only met once call of Jason and we can hear him shouting back down to her. Its late for them all to be still awake especially Freddie. I’m assuming Paisley is already asleep because I haven’t heard a sound from her. “What’s taking them so long??” I grit my teeth and let my hands disappear up my sleeves as I wait for the door to open.

“Will you get the door?” I hear a lady shout but I don’t hear anyone reply so its no surprises that when the door opens the woman I’ve met briefly is stood on the other side. “Kimb… Jason!” she turns around and shouts once again. You would think they had a house full from the sound coming from inside. I can’t believe my daughter is in here.  

“Sorry to come around so late but I’m just coming to get Paisley, can we come in?”

She steps a side and curses as the cold hits her. “She’s fine you know, come through to the living room. He’s fucking hopeless up there, he can’t even open the fucking door” Sarah pulls a face at me as she closes the door behind her. I know Paisley makes a mess of our house at home but this is ridiculous. There’s no need for mess like this. It’s hard to even walk without having to step over discarded clothes and rubbish just thrown on the floor. you can barely even see he carpet and the wallpaper has a yellow tinge to it, from the ashtrays cluttering the house I’m guessing it’s from all the smoking.

When we go into the living room my thoughts still haven’t changed. If anything I think it’s even more disgusting then I already did and half of the living room is a dining room too. Sat at the wooden table is Paisley and she’s happily shoving a piece of chocolate cake in her mouth with her hand while the little boy is sat in his high chair beside her doing the same. She doesn’t even see us enter the room, she looks quite content sat there in her pyjamas with her blanket in one hand and a huge piece of cake in the other. Someone’s been attempting to do her hair, they have tied a ponytail to the top of her head, its quite amusing. “Paisley!”

She looks at me and smiles, she doesn’t get off the chair to come and hug me she just raises her chocolate covered hand to wave and she does another chocolaty grin. “Why you here?” She asks before putting more cake in her mouth and Jason comes down to join us.

“I … well, I missed you” I say honestly although it doesn’t look like she can say the same. Jason is in a pair of grey tracksuit bottoms and a vest top. I think he’s just got out the shower because his hairs wet and he rubs his head sending water flying everywhere.