Chapter 20

I’m awoken by my name being shouted in my ear and the sudden brightness of the room light being switched on. As soon as I open my eyes I see Cheryl standing above me with my phone pressed to her ear nodding her head.

“What’s going on?” I just about manage to croak and she holds a single finger out to me as she nods her head again to whoever is on the other end of the phone.

I sit up and glance my eyes over to the clock and its only 2am, what on earth is going on. As every second passes I get more and more worried and the look on Cheryl’s face is making me even more anxious. I try my best to listen to the voice coming from down the phone but I’m just able to hear muffles however I do listen intriguingly to Cheryl on this side.  “Mhm … yeah… we won’t be long … thanks Sarah”

As soon as she says Sarah’s name I jump out of bed, she has Paisley. Something must have happened. “What’s wrong? What’s happened?” I ask almost frantically as Cheryl hangs up the phone.

“Ok calm down, its nothing serious” She starts off saying rubbing my arm. “Paisley is poorly and she’s crying for you, Sarah thinks it’s a bug, she was a bit whingey last night and now she’s up being sick”

The wave of relief I feel is indescribable, I let out a deep breath and hold my hand to my head. I thought I was having to take a trip to the hospital I thought something was seriously wrong but I feel so guilty that I’m not there the one time she needs and wants me the most. “I better go and get her” I say already pulling on a pair of tracksuit bottoms from the cluttered floor. “I thought she was at hospital or something bad like that”

“I did too at first when she called you” Cheryl replies and I notice her also getting dressed.

“What are you doing?” I ask finally pulling on a pair of trainers.

“I’m taking you” She simply replies.

“You don’t have to”

“How are you planning on getting there?” She asks folding her arms and looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

“I err… yeah I didn’t think of that”

“Howay then”

                                                                   ***

“Sorry ihad to call you, she won’t stop crying for you and I didn’t know what else to do” Sarah begins to tell me as soon as the door opens, She doesn’t have to be sorry about anything if anything I’m glad she’s called me, she needs her mum. I quickly make my way into her living room where Paisley is sitting on Nadine’s hip sobbing her heart out on her shoulder. Her eyes are red and puffy obviously from crying and her hair is pulled back into a messy ponytail, as soon as she sees me she reaches out her arms and tries to break from Nadine’s.

“Aww Baby” I go over to her and take her from Nadine, her arms immediately wraps around my neck and she rests her forehead on my shoulder. “Did you just want mummy?” I whisper and I kiss her hair. She simply nods her head and clings onto me tighter. She’s crying so much that she’s finding it difficult to catch her breath, I have never seen her in such a state before.

“She’s been throwing up since 1” Nadine tells me rubbing Paisley’s back comfortingly.

“Do you want a cuppa?” Sarah asks and Cheryl answers for the both of us.

“It’s fine, we will get going in a minute and get her to bed” I notice her frown at Nadine who looks over at her innocently. I was so caught up seeing to Paisley I didn’t even really notice it was Nadine holding her let alone wonder why. “What are you even doing here?” Cheryl asks and Nadine looks at Sarah who wanders out the room.