Chapter 23

I follow the waiter through the people full restaurant over to the long table I had reserved for me and my family. It’s a nice restaurant its not too fancy but it’s nice and I often used to come here when I was younger. The delicious smell of the newly cooked food wanders through the air making me feel even more hungry then I was. I’m planning on telling my family about me and Cheryl tonight but really I’m just confirming what most of them already think they know.

“Why did I have to come here?” Amy huffs and she whips out her phone as soon as her behind hits the seat.

“I thought it would be nice” I smile and I pull out the chair beside me for Paisley to sit on. She’s been asking about Cheryl a lot today, she’s also missing her already.

“Put your phone away Amy” My dad says and my mum shoots her daggers from across the table.

“Where are your manners?” She adds and Amy sighs dramatically.

“I don’t even want to be here, I was supposed to be meeting my friends”

“Same” Adam grumbles with his chin resting on his arm.

“Wow! Tone down the happiness guys” I say sarcastically.

“I’m bored” Paisley tells me. I only wanted a nice dinner for a change, nobody seems to want to be here, I hope to god I’m not hearing them moan on all night. Amy keeps glaring at me from across the table, she’s been in a funny mood with me ever since this morning. I’m confused to what I have meant to have done and Adam looks like he hasn’t even brushed his hair today, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s just rolled out of bed. Sally is my only sibling that seems to appreciate my efforts, she hasn’t complained once and im hoping she doesn’t because these lot are already doing my head in.

“Ok no more moaning or complaining, Kimberley has went through a effort for tonight so we’re going to appreciate it and get on like a normal family” My dad says seriously and Adam just rolls his eyes.

“Oh perfect Kimberley” I just about hear Amy mumble to herself.

“What was that?” I ask and she looks away from me.

“Nothing” She again mutters.

“So what do you all fancy?” Sally asks in an upbeat tone to try and break the awkwardness.

“The steak sounds nice”

“I was thinking the salmon and I’m guessing you want a burger Adam?”

“Of course” He laughs.

“What do you want Pai?”

“Nuggets!” she replies raising her knife and fork in the air.

Just like he read our minds the waiter that previously guided us to our seats again comes over to the table and asks if we would like to order, Dad tells him what we want and he quickly scurries away from our table and maybe now’s the chance to tell them about Cheryl. I don’t know why I feel so nervous about doing this, it’s not like they haven’t already guessed. I think the only person that has no idea is my dad and I’m sure he will take it well.

“The main reason I brought you all here is because um … I wanted to tell you all something” I begin and all their eyes wander onto me.

“You’re not pregnant again are you?” Adam suggests and Amy fails to hold her laughter in.

“Adam!” Sally exclaims and hits his arm.

“No, I’m not pregnant” I laugh. “But my life has changed and will continue to do so”