Chapter 47

“Kim? … Kimberley?” I hear Jason shouting my name from kitchen, I’ve only just got here from school, I waited for him all day but he never showed up, not that its much surprise. He’s never there and even when he is he comes in late then sits and messes around with the people he calls his ‘friends’ I wonder where his parents are, I’m on a much tighter leash then he is. My mum and dad will start worrying if I’m not back home from school by 6, he seems to just do what he wants and when he pleases.

“One second” I call back to him closing the door behind me.

“Come here” I can tell by his voice that he’s not in the best of moods, I better just do what he says to avoid another confrontation, it seems like that’s all we ever do nowadays, argue. I quickly go to his mess filled kitchen and he’s stood leaning back against the kitchen counter with his arms folded across his chest. The look in his eyes is a familiar one. I know what’s to come.

“Hi” I smile at him but he doesn’t match the expression on my face.

“Where have you been?”

“… school” I simply reply. “I was wondering where you were today”

“Do I need to answer to you?” He asks coldly.

“No of course not, I was just wondering that’s all”

“I thought you would have been pleased I wasn’t in” He says walking towards me with his arms still folded.

“Why would I have been pleased?”

“You tell me” I stay quiet not sure exactly  what he’s talking about, he’s standing close to me, way too close and his fingers wrap around the ends of my hair holding control over me. “How’s Justin today?”

“Justin?” I look up at him feeling uncomfortable with the lack of personal space but I wouldn’t dare move away from him, he doesn’t need tested.

“Scott ,you know? The boy you seem to have a bit of a crush on”

“I don’t have a crush on him” I laugh awkwardly and I place both my hands on his chest. “I missed you” I say trying to change the subject.

“Don’t lie to me” He spits, the sudden voice change makes me flinch and he shoves me backwards. “You think I don’t know what you two are getting up to?”

“I … I … I’m not doing anything” I’m again shoved backwards into the fridge and he comes towards me once again. He towers above me, intimidating me, the look on his face and the anger in his voice terrifies me because it’s not like I haven’t witnessed it before.

“So what’s all this?” He grabs the back of my neck and forcefully pushes me through into the hallway in front of the mirror. His hand doesn’t leave the back of my neck, his grip only gets tighter. “Who are you wearing all this shit on your face for because it isn’t me” The tears I can no longer hold back are making the makeup he has such a problem with even more visible as it runs down my face. I fail to answer as quick as he would have liked so I’m treated to another push this time into the opposite wall. His voice raises, spit flies from his mouth and lands on my cheek but I don’t dare to wipe it off. The shouts of anger become a blur as does my sight as his fist comes into contact with my body. I’m doubled over begging him to stop but no matter how much I cry, how much I plead he doesn’t stop, his fist once again is raised into the air and …

“Kimberley! … Kimba!”

“Jason!” I snap  my eyes open to see Cheryl leaning over me with both her hands on my shoulders. My skin is coated in a thin layer of sweat, my hairs stuck to my face and I’m trying to get my breath back on track.