chapter 29

"What do we do??" Tatiana asks.

"I'm just going to go along with it." I say.

"No!! Call this bitch out!!" Tatiana says.

"I do know this is Madison but we can't accuse anything right away, wait."

Me: okay, i guess I'll talk to you guys when you get back and get my last check.

Daniel/Madison: sorry

Me: dont be sorry, its the way it goes.

Daniel/Madison: yeah. Okay.

"That's it?" Tatiana asks as I lock my phone.

"Watch." I say.

As if on cue, a couple minutes later, my phone rings. I pick it up and see it's Jack's grandma.

"Hello?" I say.

"Dear?? Why are you quiting??" She says. I look at Tatiana and wink.

"What?" I try to sound shocked.

"Jack just called me and said that you're quitting?" She says hysterically.

"What are you talking about? I'm not quitting. Jack must be confused." I reply.

"Jack called me and told me that you told him that you were quitting and won't be coming back." She says.

"Oh no no, I got a text from Daniel actually, saying that you said I don't need to come back."

"Daniel? He doesn't even have a phone." She says.

"Well. I don't know who it was." I lie. "Let me check the number."

I pretend to check the number for a second. I look at Tatiana, wriggling in her seat with excitement.

"Wow. Wait." I pretend to sound shocked again. "The number is actually Jack's number, he must've pretended to be Daniel."

"Jack? Told you that you don't need to come back?"

"Apparently so."

"Hold on dear I'll call you back."

She hangs up and I wait.

"Where is this going to go?" Tatiana asks. "Do you have a plan?"

"Not really, I actually have no idea." I smile.

A few minutes go by and then my phone starts ringing. I look down and see it's Jack.

"Hello?" I respond.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Says Jack on the other line.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"My grandma called me and said you told her that I said not to come back and babysit the boys." He says.

"No, I said Daniel did, off your phone. But wait!" I pause. "You aren't out of town with the boys are you? You're home aren't you? How did Daniel... text me.. off your phone? Hmm."

"Julie-"

"Nope, he couldn't have." I continue. "It really could've been one person, who, obviously, does not want me back. Who is that Jack?"

"Julie I don't know what you're saying." He says.

"I think you do." I say. "Get her under control before I do."

I hang up on Jack and look over at Tatiana, mouth gaped open.

My phone starts ringing.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hi dear. I don't know what got into Jack but I expect you to babysit again when we come back."

"You can count on me." I reply.

She hangs up and I look at Tatiana again.

"You're badass." She says giving me a high five.