t h i r t y - t h r e e

Draco almost cried when he saw her. Stood by the mirror, a white gown held up to her body, Hermione had her eyes closed and was swaying back and forth to imaginary music. He couldn't help but be transfixed by her; she was beautiful. However his trance was ended as she locked eyes with him though the mirror.

"What do you want?" hissing at him as she dropped her arms to her sides, still holding the dress between each fist.

"Geez Granger," Draco began sighing and face palming simultaneously. "And here I was here thinking maybe we could have a civilised conversation."

Stopping and looking down at her hands; empty, as she placed the gown on the bed, Hermione had the audacity to look slightly ashamed of herself, before returning her gaze to the dress that lay before her.

"It was my mother's wedding dress." The breath hitched in her throat. "She gave it to before she..."

"She what?" he asked, eyes looking up in concern.

"Her and my father died just before we were married."

Draco stopped and looked up at her. He understood now. The silence, the reluctance, everything.  "Shit granger I didn't kno-"

"That was partly the reason I didn't talk to you for so long. I just didn't want to live in a world where I had a shitty wedding and my parents were dead and my best friend barely cared for me." A single tear slipped out her right eye, and Draco had to resist the urge to reach out and wipe it away.

"We can get married again." He reassured her. "A better one."

"Don't you get it?" Sighing exasperatedly she continued. "It's not you I want to marry!"

"Well thank you for completely not hurting my feelings." Draco groaned sarcastically.

"I don't care! I don't care about this stupid house, our petty arguments and most of all I don't care about yo-"

However, her sentence was cut short as Draco slammed his lips up against hers. They stayed like that for a while, lips pressing together, until she pulled away.

Resting his forehead against hers he whispered. "Shut the hell up Granger"

"What was that?" Hermione breathlessly choked out. 

"Thought maybe that the brightest witch of her age would be able to see what a kiss was."

His only response was silence.

"Okay Hermione I'm going to be staright now." Draco groaned. "We need to have a kid. And it's not going to work if I'm the only one co-operating."

She looked up at him with her hazel eyes and whispered.

"Fine."

"Just let me kiss you." He whispered into her ear.

"Okay."

Draco slowly, lightly pressed his lips up against hers. Hermione's eyes fluttered closed, and she melted into the way he moved his mouth with hers.

And the night fell away, along with everything else.

--
Draco's eyes fluttered open at the ray of sunlight coming in through the window. Turning to his right, he saw Hermione lying next to him, still fast asleep. Smiling at their tangled legs, he slipped his arm around her waist.

"I love you" he whispered.

Interlocking their hands, Hermione, now awake, smiled up at him.

Maybe, just maybe, they were going to be okay.

f i n