Chapter 7: Consequences

Pre-drinks. The best invention in the world. Getting drunk, for cheap, before actually going out and getting drunk. Plus, by going to university, it's hard to avoid getting drunk all the time. There is always someone you know throwing a party, there is always someone whose birthday it is, and how bad of a friend would you be if you missed birthday drinks? Missing a party around here was like being turning your phone off for the night, and waking up with 100+ messages from your squad's group chat. You open it to find someone's cat has died, your best friend has finally shagged the guy she fancies, someone else is moving to Australia and that one kid who never ever replies back makes their debut. You couldn't miss a party.

I was on the vodka tonight. I didn't have work, or school, or cheerleading tomorrow. I wanted to have fun with my friends and dance the night away, dance my thoughts away and 100% dance my feelings away. Pre-drinks were at the lads flat tonight. They had integrated into my friendship group so perfectly it was like they had been around all along. I'm really glad they ended up being my floor mates. Dylan supported the same team as me and Pete was the funniest guy I had ever met. Me and Aodhan became really close. He was like a brother to me. We had the same sense of humour, same music taste, we liked the same games. Luke was Luke. Luke was lovely to me one minute, and a stranger to me the next. Like I said, Luke was Luke.

He was also sitting across from me. At some point we had all gathered around the table in the middle of the room, waiting for someone to tell us it was time to leave, to go sit in another house and do the exact same thing. He looked good tonight. Really good. He always did, but he always tried a little extra when we were going out and I loved it. My two best friends were here, and then the rest of the squad. My girlfriends were all over the boys, all of the time. None of them seemed to notice it whatsoever. They were probably used to it. I looked up, as Aodhan approached us, he grabbed Cleo's hand pulling her somewhere making me smile. They fancied each other and it was so obvious. It was also really obvious that Aodhan was under the influence because I knew he wouldn't have the confidence to do that sober. Dutch courage. Dutch courage was illegal in this country, but who was going to tell? I looked around again, catching nobodies eye but Luke's. I hadn't spoken to him at all tonight. It was anyone's game as to what mood he would be in with me, and regardless of the outcome I wasn't in the mood to argue tonight. That being said, earlier in the night some of the girls had a word with me. Basically, they all fancy him and want me to back off a little. They presume nothing is going on since I introduced them all and nothing has happened yet. They were right to presume. Nothing was going on. My girls were my girls, and if they fancied him, I didn't want to act like he was mine and stop them. None of them had quite yet realised that not all of them could have him... but who was I to point that out?

I blinked a few times, remembering I was looking at him. He squinted at me. I shook my head, more at myself, before looking away and picking up a conversation with one of the girls. Not tonight, Luke. My phone buzzed in my lap, making me look down at it.

"Luke: What's wrong with you tonight?" I frowned lightly. Me staying away from him shouldn't have been an indicator that something was wrong. In fact, he shouldn't have noticed it whatsoever. It's not like we always spoke when we were around. How could he know so quickly?
"Nothing?"
"Luke: Why haven't you spoke to me then?"
"Wasn't intentional, what's stopping you from speaking to me?" Technically, I wasn't lying. Even if I didn't have that conversation with the girls, doesn't mean I would have spoke to him anyway. Right?
"Luke: A few things x" I frowned again at my phone. I quickly looked up at him and he was already looking at me. He shook his head, sliding his phone in his pocket, clearly indicating he wasn't going to reply. I hated it when people did that; bring up something then don't tell you what it is that THEY brought up. Our stare broke as a girl quite obviously bumped into him, she was called Dana. Make that another girl in the running for his attention. I rolled my eyes and stood up, if no one was going to get this started, I was.