Chapter 16: It's Been A While

Time is just a social construct. It didn't exist, but at the same time it runs our lives and keeps on strict schedules until we die. We couldn't make time go faster, or slower. Time has been going fast lately. It often does that when you haven't got a moment to think, when you're busy and want everything to slow down so you can enjoy life just a little more.

I mumbled a thank you as Isaac left the door open for to squeeze through before him. I turned to face him, laughing.

"You're going to get sacked soon if you carry on, I swear to it" I smirked. He pulled a face at me. Isaac was a friend from work, and we had just got out finally after finishing up.

"It's not my fault I don't tolerate customer crap" I rolled my eyes. I walked backwards facing him to speak.

"Well you gotta learn to, otherwi-" I got out, before he grabbed my hand, pulling me into him. I frowned and stopped speaking. I looked in front of me and noticed the lamppost that he had just saved me from. "You've quite literally just saved my life" I giggled, spinning away from him.

"I know you've fell for me already but you don't need to hurt yourself" I burst out laughing, brushing him off. "Actually..." He pointed at me accusingly. "If I was ever to use the word literally in that sense you'd call my ass up about it so here it goes" He spoke, I knew what was coming next so I rolled my eyes at how pedantic he was being. I mean, I did it all the time but it didn't count. "You wouldn't have literally died" He mimicked me. I pulled a face at him at his awful attempt of copying me. I pointed at him this time, it was all quite rude.

"Erm, I could have banged my head... fell on the floor and further banged my head" He pushed my playfully.

"That's the most dramatic thing you've ever said" He spoke quietly, squinting his eyes slightly.

"No, what was dramatic was you dragging me across the courtyard just to avoid a lamppost" He raised his eyebrows at me and scoffed, making smirk.

"Oh really?" I bit my lip. "I won't fucking do it next time" I smiled still laughing at him. I looked up and paused slightly, letting my laughter fade. He was laughing until he looked at what I was looking at. We gradually slowed to a stop. Luke was standing outside the gates, leaning against his. My breath hitched slightly, just at the shock of it. I hadn't seen him in a good few weeks. He had been busy, or that lads had been away together, or whatever accuse they had to give me this time. I smiled lightly at the sight of him. Isaac turned to face me. "Who's that?" He spoke firmly. I hesitantly faced away from the gate to look at Isaac. He was closer than I remembered, and I just looked down.

"That's Luke..." I mumbled, thinking about it. He knew about Luke. Luke was often the talk of the conversation when it involved me. Everyone wanted to know what was going on and if anything was going on. If I was ever to deny it no one would believe. Someone always had a rumour to share. Work was no exception to that. He knew that things were complicated, but I had also told him we weren't in a relationship because it was true. He had never asked much about him.

"He fancies you too..." He concluded. I looked up at him.

"Too?" I questioned innocently, making him laugh at me.

"You know I like you... You're involved with him, right?" He looked over at Luke, making my heart tense as he would have known we were talking about him. I shrugged, finally, trying to jump out of my thoughts.

"I... I don't know what it is" He nodded, pushing his lips together. He sniffled slightly and looked down momentarily.

"If you want me I'm here" He said, making me frown. I shook my head instantly.

"Don't do that" He would lose every time, whether he knew it or not. "Don't make me chose" I spoke, he smiled softly, shaking his head. He took my hand.

"I'm not" He looked at Luke for a second. "I'm just here" He shrugged purposefully, as I pushed my lips together. He smiled at me, spinning me around, an obvious attempt to lighten the situation. I rolled my eyes and pressed the button to open the gates. They opened and he mumbled a goodbye. I watched him walk away, he nodded and Luke nodded back lightly, clearly trying not to make it obvious he was watching the whole thing. I walked as Isaac disappeared out of view, and turned my head to Luke. I smiled instantly, happy to see him after what felt like a life time. In reality, it was only a few days. I'm glad I always do my hair and change before I leave because I was a mess. It was dark, as it was like 11pm or something. I slowly walked over to him, he was biting his lip but he didn't look mad at me.

"Hey lovely" I spoke smiling, going in for a hug as I got to him. I lightly put my hands by his neck as he wrapped his arms around me. His warmth immediately ran through my body.

"Hi" He mumbled, rubbing my back slightly. He could probably feel how cold it was. "I'm sorry I haven't seen you in a while" My smile got a little wider, squeezing him a little tighter.

"That's okay" I whispered, brushing it off. He had a life, I couldn't complain at him. He wasn't obligated to see me. Despite me much preferring it if he was. "You're so warm" I leaned back away from him, stepping back slightly. He hummed in response.

"Where you going home with him?" He asked, scrunching his eyebrows together. "like I can just drive home" He dragged off. I shook my head quickly, probably too quickly.

"No" I shot out. "No, I wasn't... That's just Isaac" I nodded, he didn't look mad, just slightly conflicted, and I don't think it was about Isaac. "We were just-"

"I wasn't going to ask" He spoke, I didn't know what to say anyway, but I don't know whether what he said was a good thing or a bad thing. I blinked a few times.

"What're you doing here"

"Came to surprise you" He smirked softly. "Just wanted to get away" He said, making me frown slightly.

"Are you okay?" He nodded, pouting slightly. "Get away from what?" He lifted his head slightly.

"Everything" I didn't want to push him, but I was confused. I frowned again, as he shook his head.

"What are you running away from?" He almost stopped me straight away.

"I'm never running away when I'm with you" He mumbled. I looked straight at him, something was wrong. I bit my lip lightly, letting my mind run away with itself. He only thought of me when he was bored?

"Hey..." He snapped me out of my thoughts. "What's wrong?" I blinked a few times again, shaking my head and smiling politely.

"I'm happy you're here" He was smirking, but it wasn't his usual smirk. It was tired and almost held back.

"I missed your energy" He mumbled, making me pout.

"I missed your smile" A genuine smile grew on his face, but made me smile but trying to hide it. He had his hands up by his side, but as a noisy group came past he brought one of them up to behind my back and pulled me into him. I looked down until they had passed, and he didn't speak until they had.

"I didn't mean for it to be this long, you know" He spoke down to me. He licked his lips. "I couldn't help it" I shook my head. I didn't know what to say. I presume he was only out with his mates, so I didn't know what to say. I mean, I'm pretty sure he could have prevented that. He took my silence as a response. "Do you want to stay out tonight?" I looked at him and nodded.

When he said stay out, he didn't mean we go clubbing. He meant we would drive around, or go and watch the town at the top of a story car park, and talk about everything. He smiled, gently squeezing my chin before letting me go completely. He opened the car door for me to get in, so I did. He got in the other side, and started the car, ready to drive us away.

Little did I know, I would be finding out a sole fact that would change my perspective on everything.