7- Beach

It was mid-August. Ren, Zoe and I had spent most of our summer with the J sisters. Red and I became best friends pretty quick. What surprised me was Jess and Zoe were best friends also. Jess managed to help Zoe get over her shyness by putting the fairy into different situations. You could say she brought Zoe under her wing. Jess and I were friends but nothing great. She was too snobbish for my taste and had a huge ego. But, she made the activities we did together really fun. She and Ren though, were inseparable. They were glued to the hip. And Jimhaya, well she still is that anti-social bitch of a girl we met a while back.

Today, we were going swimming in a lake a few hours from town. Zoe and I drove to the Hundale’s house with her van. Ren was already at their house, he spent the night there. Jess met us on the front porch and gave each of us a huge hug. She and Zoe went rushing back in the house squealing all the way. I guess Jess didn’t know which bathing suit to bring and needed help. Girls.

 I let myself through the door and spotted Red coming down the stairs at great speed. I smiled as she tried and failed to tie her dark red hair in a ponytail while coming down two stairs at a time. I went to meet her when she came all the way down. I took the elastic from her hand and tied her hair up in a messy bun    

“Hey gorgeous” I said to my friend. I gave her a quick hug.

“Hey Sy” she said.

“So” I said dangling my arm around her shoulder, “Where is your anti-social bitch of a sister?” Red raised an eyebrow at me. It was not the first time Jimmy and I insulted each other. “I say this because I have something for her” feeling the need to justify myself. I showed her the bag I was carrying.  Red took a curious peak inside.

“You bought her a bikini? Are you nuts?” She exclaimed.

“Come on. We’re going to the beach, she needs something to wear. Plus, it would help her integrate with people.”

“What makes you think she will wear it?” she asked.

“She likes me” I winked at her, moving towards the stairs with her in tow.  “And the proof is I’m still alive”. My relationship with Jimmy was pretty easy. I annoy the shit out of her by talking until her ears bleed. I also take things from her and I physically touch her all the time. Most of the time she ignores me or insults me and it’s awesome. She is such an easy target to tease. I managed to have a five minute conversation once, that was the longest one we had. We even flirt once in a while; at least that’s what I think. Well I do, but who wouldn’t? She is beautiful, when she doesn’t speak.

When we arrived at her door, I stopped Red who was about to leave. “Can you come with me?” I asked.

“Why, it’s your present to her. You said it yourself that she likes you, so why can’t you go in alone? Are you scared?”

“No!” I exclaimed. I took a few seconds to think about what I was going to say. She did have weird effect on me when I’m near her.  “She creeps me out” is what I said. Those were the wrong choice of words by the look on Red’s face. It was a true though; Every time I’m alone with her, she makes me nervous.

Red gave me a knowing smile, as if she knew something I didn’t. I knocked on the door and went in without a response. I knew she wouldn’t answer anyway. Jimmy was drawing at her desk, with her earphones on. She turned around when she heard us come in; guess her music was not that loud.

“Ever heard of privacy?” she asked me, ignoring her sister. I gave her a goofy grin, the one that she hates, and shook my head.

“I brought you something, that you have to wear because you are going to the beach with us.” I shoved the bag in her hands and pointed to the bathroom. Jimmy looked from the bag to me and to the bag again.